chapter 41

~ Chapter 41 ~

I watched as he pondered through the forest. He looked exactly the same. Nothing had changed aside from the once cold expression, it was now gone. In its place was emptiness.

That's something I never wanted to see. I could handle his anger, his hate but I couldn't handle this. He's been in so much pain that he just..shut off. Like a robot.

The moon has watched us since the war. Not missing a single trick.

My heart stopped when he entered the house, his own expression changing for the first time in 50 years. The time we spent apart has been extremely rough, but I know it was for the best.

Turning I walk away, my footsteps silent.

"Don't leave me..not again" his voice was right behind me, I forgot he could move as quick as me now.

His voice was rough, like he'd been through hell and back. Truth was..he had. I didn't turn to face him. I didn't know if I could face him, not after I acted like a coward and left him.

"Stay..stay with me..please Lana" my chest burned and tightened as he spoke, so much sadness and pain.

"Has your life been good?" I ask him softly.

"Only with you" is his reply.

"But you have been safe, yes?"

"Only the dead are safe" he murmurs close to my ear. I remained silent not sure exactly what to say.

His thick muscular strong arms wrap around my front, his chest presses up against my back and his head buries into the crook of my right shoulder/ neck.

"I can't loose you again" he mumbles into my hair, his arms held me tightly yet gently. I felt his chest shake slightly and I realised he was crying.

That was the last straw.

I couldn't do this again. I couldn't leave him in pain. In his own sadness. I couldn't..not even for the moon. But this was the only way I could keep him alive.

Its been 50 years with no contact with each other. Our mating being severed. But our bond never left.

It was stronger now then it ever was, I could feel the pull even when he was at home.

Home. Over 7, 000 miles away yet I still see it as home.

Turning in his arms I wrap mine around his head, he once again buries his head into my hair and neck. His arms lock themselves around me as if I might disappear any second.

"One day you'll understand my reasons for leaving. If I had a choice then this wouldn't be it..I need you to live" I whisper into his chest, leaning up I kiss the edge of his lips gently. Letting myself linger for a second before vanishing faster than he could ever see coming.

"Lana!" He calls out seconds later but I was already gone, my heart was breaking at pain in his voice but this was for his own good. I'm selfish, I know that. But I won't let him die just so we can be happy for a short while.

He will live.

But I won't be with him.