chapter 45

~ Chapter 45 ~

"Chloe?" I ask furrowing my brows. I wasn't dreaming. Chloe was in front of me...Right?

"Oh my Jesus! I never thought I'd see you again!" She squeals dragging me into a rough hug, more blood poured out and I didn't have the strength to hug her back. I knew what I needed but taking it from her wasn't an option.

"How've you been? Where have you been staying? You look horrible no offence. And you smell like...blood" she whispered stepping back as if just realising. Her face showed horror as she took me in.

"I have to go, don't tell Angel I was here" I rush turning, the flood spun suddenly and I closed my eyes trying to breath it off.

I had to leave. Now.

I started to walk at a fast pace to get away.

Blackness.

***

I felt alive and better than ever when I woke up. My vision was clear and thankfully there were zero bright white lights. Sitting up quickly I rip the out the tubes feeding blood into my system and stand from the bed.

"What are you doing?" Chloe asks accusingly as she enters the room.

"Leaving" I reply coldly.

"Angels not here, you don't have to leave just yet" she smiles throwing me a bottle of water which I caught with ease despite not looking at her.

"Nice reflexes" she comments surprised before sitting down on the bed I'd just got off.

"I'm used to weapons coming at me, its an instinct" I shrug carelessly.

"Living the rough life huh?" She sighs raising an eyebrow, she inspects me with a thoughtful look.

"Something's changed" she comments curiously and I arch an eyebrow sipping some water.

"Like what?" I ask uninterested and look around the room.

"There's a dangerous air to you, before the war you didn't have it but now..its a "I don't like you so I'm going to kill you" sort of vibe. It reminds me of my brother all those years ago"

"Battle" I correct her.

She shrugs. "Makes no difference to me...you know..your not the only one that's changed" she tells me quietly. I knew who and what she meant.

"Angel hasn't changed Chloe. He's still the same person to me, and he always will be. But I had my reasons for leaving, and I still do" I tell her, I didn't want to hurt her feelings but I couldn't exactly lie. There was no point.

"I get that you left and I would have understood if it was for a while. But its been over 600 years Dakota. That's more than enough time to overcome whatever issues you two are having. I need my brother back, I need my friend back" she says softly with a frown.

"Me and angel were fine. He's still your brother no matter what he or you say, if he wanted you to know the truth then he would tell you. But this is between me and him, I still love him but its just..too dangerous right now" I sigh. If felt nice to finally get some words out after so long but there was only so much I could say.

"Too dangerous? The only thing dangerous right now is my brother. I don't know if he's going to walk past me when I visit or if he's going to tear me limb from limb" she cringes.

"Think about it chloe! I suddenly turn up on angels land after all this time, covered in blood and injuries. Don't be so naive! Angel isn't the problem at the minute. There's bigger, faster, and stronger enemies out there then their ever has been" my voice was harsh but it got my point across.

"How many? And what where they?" She asks as if recalling my blooded body.

"Five. Fucking five! Imagine an army of them. None of us would stand a chance, even I can admit that"

"What were they?" She repeats with some fear.

"Vampires. Although they're usually not that good, its as if they're a new species..purebloods or royals I'm guessing" I inform her.

"Steel has to know, so we can begin preparing" she stands but I stand in her way.

"There's no enough time for that, preparing will only prolong death when they come. I'm not asking you to surrender..I'm asking you to leave" she looks surprised but instantly rejects my words.

I grab her arm tightly as she tries to leave again, I glare her down coldly.

"Your children will be slaughtered in front of your very eyes. Your mate will watch you die. Don't put him through that pain. Everything I do, every decision I make benefits angels life. Do the right thing and run"

"Where are you going!?" She calls after me as I walk away.

"A war is coming Chloe! If angel doesn't leave then everything I've risked for him has been for nothing...he NEEDS to live!" I reply loud enough for her to hear as I speed off into the land surrounding the houses and mansion.

I once again vanished into thin air as if I was never here, but I knew angel would know as soon as he came within 10 miles of his land.

Chloe had cleaned the dirt from my skin, she'd brushed and combed my hair and changed my clothes.

She did the one thing that could and maybe would get me killed.