chapter 48

~ Chapter 48 ~

A loud roar of pain caught my attention and I looked to see Markus fall to his knees, his head was bent back and his was half way through shifting.

"What's wrong?" The other alphas asked concerned.

"Mate!" He snarls with black eyes. Shoving the other alphas out of my way I ignore his attack and expose his neck, where Chloe's mark layed.

It was gone. In its place was a fresh cut.

"Who would do this? Your Luna has been disconnected from you by force. This is an act of war against you and your pack, possibly others" the alpha of the shadow pack speak up furiously.

The whole room shouted in uproar. None like the idea of a war, but they had no idea what that required anyway. They were young, they thought that if threatened by the simplest of beings they had no choice but to listen to the enemy.

"Enough!" My voice was sharp, and easily shut them up as it was deep and louder than theirs.

"This is NOT an act of war. Not yet. If anything its a message. Anyone who tries to think different of this situation will be dealt with! Markus." I nod to him and he stands, he knew what I meant.

Chloe was or is in danger. But either way we needed to leave.

And we did.

***

"Where is she!?" Markus snarled barely controlling his wolf as we entered my pack hospital. All the doctors seemed to be gone which left us searching the entire building.

"Markus!" I call him as I enter the room containing a tired scared looking Chloe.

Markus rushed to her side and I gave them a minute before asking questions.

"Tell me everything" I state. I could smell my mate. Everywhere.

"Three days ago I was taking a walk around the land, the warriors were patrolling so I should have been safe. However I noticed something strange. Something smelt off..I went closer. I expected to be attacked or ambushed or something but.." She trails off looking at me with pain.

"It was Luna Dakota. She looked..like hell no offence" she tells me softly and I gave nothing away.

"Her hair was dead, knotted and filled with every type of 990 plant possible. She was covered in dirt, mud, and..blood. She had some injuries but refused to come back here with me. She tried to leave but she passed out from blood loss. When she woke up she left"

"Last night I decided to take a walk, but i stayed away from the forest...a man..he came from no where...I'd never seen him before" she whispers and I could tell she wasn't lying, its rare she's scared of anything. And she seems petrified.

"He attacked me with speed I've only ever seen Luna or you use..he..he bit me" she says quietly, Markus was already boiling with rage and that last statement didn't help in the slightest.

"I can't really explain much more other than the fact that Dakota appeared from know where. She told me to run and I did, by the time I got here she was helping me through the door. I told her to do whatever she needed to keep me alive" she aimed the last part at Markus, knowing he'd figure out that my mate was the one to severe their bond.

He snarls holding onto her tighter, he wanted to rip Lana apart but he didn't want to hurt his mates feelings in the process.

"She removed your mark..but..she drained my blood and the venom from my system, I had barely ten minutes left to live..it was the only way"

"SHE ALMOST KILLED YOU!" He roared unleashing his wolf. Chloe flinched away from him and I stepped in front of the door, my body was threatening and my gaze was like ice.

"She saved me Markus. I would be dead right now if it wasn't for her! She got the worst of it! Not me! At least I'm still here!" She began to shout and her eyes teared up, she looked at me with a pleading look as if to help me understand.

At least I'm still here.

Meaning at least Chloe's here.

Meaning my mate wasn't.

And she didn't mean Lana left again.

Markus froze at her words and looked at me. He knew what she meant. He knew what Lana meant to me.

"She's in your room Alpha Bain" she whispers looking at the floor as tears poured down her face, my skin was emanating raw power.

My head felt light. I felt sick. My heart stopped beating. Lana wasn't dead. She didn't meant that.

"What's wrong with my mate Chloe!?" My voice was low, threatening and icy.

She cowered away from me as I clenched my fists to refrain from ripping her apart. Markus moved in front of her protectively but even he knew he was no challenge for me.

"I..I'm sorry..I'm so so sorry angel" she sobbed.

"My name is Alpha Bain. Am I clear?" I snarl, it echoes around the room as growls fell from me.

"Yes alpha"

I left quicker than they could blink. With every step I felt more dread fill my body.

So much for the broken bond protecting us.