64) Optometrist

"Livi! Come on, we're going!" Hunter yelled from downstairs, but I didn't reply, instead, I just stayed tucked up in my bed.

"Livi! What are you doing? Hunter's calling you like crazy?" exclaimed Jaxon, coming into my room. Once again, I didn't reply so he rolled his eyes and left.

After a few minutes, I heard the loud stomping of my eldest brother coming up the stairs. I quickly tucked under the covers and waited to hear the sound of silence.

"Olivia Miller. Get your butt out here this second," he demanded. I peeked out of the covers but didn't move. "Now!" He bellowed pointing at the door.

I slowly peeled the covers away and stood up, at the same time, Hunter stood there rigid and serious, no offers of any emotion. I quickly slid on my vans, grabbed my phone and walked out of the room, not that quickly though.

We finally arrived at the car and Hunter stood impatiently, holding the door open. I glared at him and slowly got into the car. The second I sat down in the seat, Hunter slammed the door shut with a loud bang. He got in and off we went to the last place I wanted to be going today. The optometrist.

"So, Olivia, how are you?" Asked Phoebe, the smiley receptionist.

"Good." I said blandly. Hunter shot a look in my direction but didn't say anything more as he listened to the instructions Phoebe gave him. I zoned out and instead went for a look around the place. They had so, so many different types of glasses.

I tried on some square ones, but they looked hideous, so I quickly took them off and checked around me to make sure no one saw. I then went and looked at some other ones. Thankfully, I found a pair that was black on the outside but had pink on the inside, and they were a really good shape. Similar to ray-ban sunglasses.

"Livi, lets go." Said Hunter, waving me over. I walked over and followed Hunter and Phoebe to the room where I would have a scan to check that my eyes hadn't had any sun damage yet.

After that was done, we were able to go see my actual optometrist and find out if I needed glasses or not.

"So Olivia, I hear you are finding it hard to see some words. Is this correct?" Asked the optometrist. He was middle-aged, probably somewhere in between my dad's age and Hunter's.

"It's Livi," I corrected, "And yes, I can't really see the words on the page."

"Okay. So I'm going to do a few different tests. I'm assuming you can see colour?"

"Yeah, colours are fine. Just reading is really blurry and gives me a headache." I explained sheepishly.

"No problems." He smiled. He went through a few different exercises with me like looking up at a screen that was far away and having to read the different letters and numbers that appeared. When he gave me a page that I had to read, I couldn't even make out one word. Not one. It was so hard.

"Okay Livi. You need reading glasses." He said, looking at me with a bit of sympathy. My body slumped, and I sighed. I knew this was coming yet I still didn't like the idea. "Let's go have a look at some, shall we?" He asked. All 3 of us stood up and went to look at all the different glasses. We spent about 30 minutes looking before I decided on the black and pink pair I had picked up earlier.

"Do I look okay?" I asked Hunter quietly as the optometrist went to get the forms. He looked down from his monstrous height and smiled softly.

"You always look beautiful. The glasses look fine." He smiled. "And you know what?"

"What?"

"Mum used to have the same glasses as you. When you were born though, she started wearing contacts and I never saw her in glasses again."

"Really?" I asked, glad I had a common trait with my mum. Hunter nodded right before the optometrist returned.

Hunter did all the adult things he needed to do before we could go home.

"Do I have to wear these all the time?" I asked Hunter.

"I would like you to, except for when you dance and play sports. Then you can take them off and make sure you put them back into the case." He looked at me sternly.

"Okay." I said. "But I don't have to?" He sighed.

"No, you don't. But I want you to because that way you'll get used to them."

"Fine." I sighed, right as we pulled up in the driveway.

We headed to the front door, but Lachie opened it right before Hunter could put the key in.

"Oh, sorry!" He apologised, "I'm going out with some friends...Livi got glasses!?" He exclaimed, looking back and forth between Hunter and myself.

"Yes. Now move." I said, shoving him out of the way and walking inside. I walked into the living room only to see Jaxon sitting with Dylan, Ethan and Luke. And nobody thought to even tell me they were coming over.

As soon as Jaxon laid his eyes on me, his mouth rose up into his signature smirk.

"Baby. What are you wearing?" He asked.

"Nothing?" I asked innocently.

"Looks like glasses to me. Something only nerds wear." He snickered, echoed by his friends.

"Jaxon." Hunter warned, coming in behind me.

"Sorry. They just make her look like she should be at some computing club or participating in a spelling be. Something only nerds do." He smirked. Before I could hear any more, I ran upstairs, tears brimming my eyes. I wasn't going to cry in front of all his friends that I have to see around school all the time.

By the time I got to the safety of my locked room, tears were steadily flowing down my face. I lay down on my bed and gave myself some time to just think and relax.

Not only did I already hate my glasses myself; I mean, who wants glasses? But to have Jaxon say that, imagine what other kids at school would say. I know he's my brother and that they are way meaner, but if he's willing to say that stuff, who else is going to say things?

I was brought back into reality when there was a gentle knock on the door. It wasn't quite the style of Hunter and was way too gentle for any of my other brothers. They knocked again.

"Tiny? You in there?"