(Season 3) Chapter 25

Previously on Ninjago:

"You nuts?" Cole exclaimed. "Ninja don't belong in space!"

"I'm with Cole," Jay added. "This is even beyond me."

"I have to agree with him," (Y/N) said, following after Lloyd, Zane, and Kai.

"Come on (Y/N)!" Jay grumbled. "I thought you were the only sane one among us!"

"Thank you for the compliment but we have to try," (Y/N) said.

"You said nothing was ever going to separate us again," Lloyd said to them with a determined look on his face. "Well, I'm going. So, are you with me or not?"

***

The Void - Part 1

"Is this the greatest thing ever or what?" Jay asked, floating in the air and doing a backward swimming pose.

"It is!" (Y/N) agreed, doing flips of her own as all five of them floated in the rocket.

"Where are you?" Kai grumbled at them. "We're trapped in space and you...where did you go?"

(Y/N) looked at him in utter confusion. "What are you trying to say?"

"Guys, we're in space!" Jay exclaimed, doing the moonwalk and spinning in a circle at the same time. "I thought this is stuff only Fritz Donnegan gets to enjoy."

"Fritz is from a comic book, dude!" Lloyd argued as he bumped his head while floating around, causing (Y/N) to laugh. "This is real! And not funny, (Y/N)!"

"Well, you got me hooked on the character," Jay said accusingly. "Would you lighten up and not step on your dreams of being a real Starfarer just yet?"

"We have to find a way to take control of the ship," Lloyd argued as he floated upside down now.

"If they get the Golden Weapons back to the Overlord, Ninjago doesn't stand much of a chance. Whoa!" Kai slammed into him accidentally and (Y/N) burst out laughing as they both flew in different directions, both of them rubbing their heads and glaring at her.

"But there's no access to the rest of the ship," Kai said, moving his gaze away from (Y/N)'s innocent smile.

"The only way out is through the same airlock we came in," she continued to add.

"And if my memory banks serve correctly," Zane commented. "Space has a way of taking one's breath away, in the negative sense."

"Enjoy it while you can, Jay, (Y/N)," he further said, interrupting (Y/N) and Jay spinning around each other like fishes while taunting the others. "Because the entire ship is scheduled to lighten up in five minutes. The supplemental boosters are set to detach."

(Y/N)'s eyes widened as she headed over to the screen he was standing in front of and saw a timer showing 4:43 and eventually going down.

"Uh, I'm a ninja, not an astronaut," Kai grumbled. "What does that mean?"

"The portion of the ship we are currently stationed on will soon detach and we will be abandoned in space with it," (Y/N) explained, turning around as Lloyd, Kai, Cole, and Jay glanced at each other.

She turned back to the screen when she thought she heard Nya's voice and sure enough, they saw her, Garmadon, Wu, and Pixal appear on the screen, all of them with microphones.

"Hello? Kai? Anyone? Can you read me?" Nya asked.

"We read you loud and clear," Kai answered, coming next to (Y/N).

"They're alive! They're alive!" Garmadon exclaimed, the relief in his voice evident.

"Whoa! Yes!" Nya cheered simultaneously.

"Of course we're alive, Sensei," (Y/N) remarked with a smile.

"Good to hear you boys-" Wu began but (Y/N) cleared her throat loudly, interrupting him. "And girl," he continued with a smile. "We're going to get you home safe. P.I.X.A.L. was able to find the blueprints for the rocket." A blueprint of the rocket was pulled up on the screen and it zoomed in onto a compartment near the front of the rocket. "You need to escape the cargo hold before it's too late. Near the front of the ship is an A2 storage compartment. Inside are emergency spacesuits." After flying around for a decent amount of time, (Y/N) watched with an amused smile as Lloyd managed to stay still behind Cole.

"That will be a doozy," Cole said while (Y/N) tried to hold in the laughter that threatened to escape her as his flaying hand hit Lloyd in the face, causing him to fly around uncontrollably again. "We can't get the spacesuits unless we go outside. Problem is, we can't go outside without spacesuits. Any other suggestions?" (Y/N) quickly caught Lloyd by his arm and pulled him over to her side before he could fly away again. He shot her a grateful smile and she smiled back.

(Y/N) returned to watch the screen with a frown on her face now as Garmadon covered his microphone and turned to his brother. "They are completely out of their element," he hissed. "Even if they get through this, what chance do we have of getting them home?"

(Y/N) loudly cleared her throat.

"Uh, we can still hear you," Kai grumbled.

"Yeah, we could really use some encouraging words right about now," Lloyd grumbled and (Y/N) shivered because he was so close to her.

The two brothers on screen glanced at each other. "If you cannot change your circumstances," Wu said finally. "Change yourself."

"Hm," Kai rubbed his chin in thought. "Can anyone else figure that one out?" He looked at all of them.

(Y/N) suddenly remembered Garmadon saying something like that to her when he trained her and she suddenly knew what it meant. She opened her mouth to answer but Garmadon cut her off.

"Don't help them, (Y/N)," he said sternly. "They should learn to figure it out themselves."

The boys pleadingly looked at her but she only shrugged at them helplessly.

"His wisdom usually takes a while to set in," Jay began in a panicked tone. "But we don't have a while!" His whole sentence turned an octave higher and (Y/N) winced.

"Zane," Pixal began. "You're the only one who can survive outside the ship."

The realization hit (Y/N). "She's right," she added.

"I'm the only one who doesn't need oxygen," Zane stated. "I must go alone."

They floated after Zane as he headed to a door in the compartment and opened it by pressing his hand on the wall. "Be careful," (Y/N) said to him.

"Go get 'em, Zane!" Kai encouraged enthusiastically.

He nodded at them and then disappeared from their sight as the door closed. They all headed to the screen to track Zane's position. They impatiently waited, (Y/N) diddling with her fingers in nervousness as the countdown continued.

"Come on, Zane, where are you?" Lloyd mumbled as the countdown now reached 20 seconds.

"He'll make it," (Y/N) said confidently. "I believe in him."