Chapter 62 | PHASE FOUR: Pain

RAIDEN

It'd only been a few hours since mating and marking my blessing and as much as I didn't want to leave him, I couldn't stay in this bed.

I couldn't stay this connected to him because I could feel Dax's dark magic flowing through me.

My brandings had ignited a newfound blinding pain the moment the swelling of my knot detached from Dylan and I tried to remain by his side, to remain with my arms wrapped around his body, but I just couldn't do it.

Hissing from the pain, I clutch my chest as I stumble through the doorway, gently closing the door behind me so that I wouldn't wake Dylan.

I didn't usually welcome my numbness to pain because it reminded me of those five years I'd spent with Dax, but right now, I wished nothing more than that numbness to affect his dark magic as well.

But it didn't. . . It never did and Dax made sure of that.

I could feel his magic moving through me, each new wave bringing along little slices of razor sharp pain through my veins.

Trying to stay upright, my hand stays clutched to my chest as the other finds the wall to steady myself as I try to find the rooms that Roman and Reland were staying in.

"Brother, why do you feel like that?" — My eyes widen when I hear Roman's voice cut through our familial link.

Stopping in the middle of the hallway as a particularly strong wave of anger and rage ripples through me, Dax's magic showing his feelings towards what I'd just done with Dylan all the more apparent, I blow out a breath and respond to my baby brother.

"Rome, get Reland and come help me. I'm in the hallway on the third floor, it's Dax's magic, he's pissed." — I grit out as I groan from the pain rocketing through my system.

Dropping to my hands and knees, I lose control of myself and my claws immediately extend, scraping the hardwood floors beneath me. I could feel the burn behind my eyes that happened everytime Onyx forced the shift, but this time, it wasn't him, this was entirely me loosing control. My canines elongate without permission and body starts trembling under the weight of it all.

The pain. . . The pain, the pain, the pain. . . It was excruciating. It was all my mind could think about, the only thing that could register as tears rush to the surface and my vision grows blurry.

It was blinding and it took everything in me not to scream out from it. . . Not to scream from the agony, the razor sharp pain slicing through my chest and the skull crushing pressure in my head.

It's only when I can feel myself starting to hyperventilate is when I also register footsteps barreling up the stairs and down the hallway.

Lifting my head, through teary eyes and blurred vision, I briefly see Roman and Reland racing towards me before I feel their hands on my body.

"We got you, Raiden," Reland tells me as I feel him pull my body up against his.

Reland props himself up against one of the walls and pulls my back flush against his chest while Roman rips my shirt off.

Then I feel Reland wrap his arms around my stomach, my head anxiously falling back onto his shoulder as he whispers, "Just like all the other times, let us ground you."

I hiss from the pain in my chest but I find myself nodding to Reland as I close my eyes and then feel Roman cup my face, just like all the other times.

If it weren't for these two men, I would have succomb to the pain before. I would have allowed Dax to take control of my body and my mind and just relented to his wants, but with Roman and Reland holding onto me, their power made it easier to keep my mind here.