Chapter 79 | PHASE FIVE: Talhana vs. Kalawaii

DYLAN ||

While everyone else had their heads up their asses, trying to gather whoever and whatever they could to help us defeat the creatures of the Dark Realm, I was busy getting my own help once I got my shit together after freaking out about my babies.

I managed to get someone I knew who could help. Someone I knew who might have the power to defeat a Dark King masked with dark magic because this person was also tainted with dark magic.

"Thank you for coming, Maxx," I tell him, eyeing his seven year old son that seemed lost in a trance of his own before I find Maxx's eyes again. "I've told you everything I know and you were the only person I knew that might be able to help."

Maxx nods, embracing me and then eyeing the territory. "You're welcome, Dylan. You've been great to me and your mate was always so kind so whatever you need, I'm willing to help."

I nod, walking through the gates with Maxx and his son, Thaddeus in tow.

I can't help but notice the way Thaddeus was still in that weird trance though. His eyes glossed over and wide with alarm.

It didn't necessarily comfort me to see such a young boy showcase such weird emotions.

Maxx of course notices this and notices me looking at his son. He offers a small smile and then says, "Thaddeus is learning how to live with the shadows."

I didn't know what that meant because to shifters, the shadows are a place where our beasts go to spend time together. It's a happy place, certainly nothing that could entice emotions like Thaddeus was having right now, but I don't comment on it anymore.

I just smile and nod, continuing our walk.

Maxx doesn't speak much on our walk, which was odd considering how talkative he usually was. Instead his focus was on something on my territory.

His magic flickers with little bolts of lightning and sparks of electricity at his fingertips. His eyes narrow as he takes in the surroundings.

Something or someone had caught his attention and not only his attention, but his magic as well.

I knew from the many conversations with Maxx, that magic users didn't consider their magic as a separate thing. It was apart of them.

It reacted to their emotions, their moods. They could play with it and talk to it and they were very sensitive when it came to the way others treated it.

My attention falls on his hands as they slowly clench into fists and then unclench. The green hue wrapping around his aura told me that his dark magic was starting to come forward. It seemed like it was doing it without his permission because he groans quietly, trying to rein it in.

After a moment of silence and observing the way Maxx's magic was beginning to unleash from something here, I ask. "You have dark magic right?"

Maxx flinches, snapping out of whatever trance his magic had on him.

He gives me a small smile and replies. "Yes. My bloodline has what we in the Magical Kingdom call the kiss of life and the touch of death."

I nod again, my eyebrows practically merging with my hairline.

Magic was terrifying.

I didn't know what he meant by that, but I liked the sound of it. "And what is your bloodline?"

Maxx stops for a moment, looking at me with stern eyes before resuming his stride. "That I will not tell anyone. Not even you, for fear of what may come to me and my son."