Chapter 78 | PHASE FIVE: Alone pt. 2

DYLAN ||

I couldn't take it. I physically couldn't take it. It's been four days since I've arrived back in the shadow pack and I've spent an entire day chasing Raiden's scent, unable to sit still and think rationally.

My mind was locked in on him, locked in on finding him and no matter how exhausted I was, no matter how hungry or thirsty or painful my body felt, I couldn't stop.

I had to find him.

The bond withered away yesterday and I was no longer able to feel my mate. The unknown, the dullness, the numbness I felt on the inside was indescribable.

Not being able to feel him, to reach out to him, to hear his voice through our link or feel his heartbeat was doing something wrong to me.

"Fuck!" I curse, punching the window of a building in this abandoned town that Raiden's scent lingered in.
This was pissing me off.

It didn't make sense. Why Dax Kyle's would bring him here of all places and I hated how much I could sense him here but that's where it ends.

Raiden's scent trail had brought me here and now it was gone. Just like that. Gone without a trace.

Hissing at a pain in my lower belly, I apply pressure to it and keep pushing through the heat of the sun beating down on my back.

I had to find him. I just had to.

"Dylan!"

I shake my head when I hear Bennett's growl behind me along with a multitude of footsteps running towards me.

I didn't tell anyone in the pack that I was leaving yesterday. To be honest, I didn't even realize I'd left until I ended up in the middle of the forest.

Raiden's tether was calling out to me and I had to answer it. I knew yesterday would be the last day that I could feel him and we were no closer to rescuing him, so I had to try and track him myself.

Of course Maddox helped but without being able to shift, he couldn't do much, so it was all up to me and it was hard.

At first, I could follow the bond with my eyes closed but after midnight rolled round, my bond completely withered away and I'd gone farther and farther from the pack, I had to rely on Raiden's scent trail alone.

I hadn't slept all night, crying and screaming as our bond's deterioration slowly ate away at me but I never gave up.

I kept pushing and pushing and pushing and my mate's scent brought me here but now I didn't have the slightest idea of where to go.

No trail, no markings, no tire tracks or traces of magic, nothing but my mate's lingering scent.

How could someone just disappear and leave no traces? Dad has been keeping tabs on the Magical Council and they hadn't reported any use of dark magic anywhere outside of the Dark Realm from Dax Kyles, so it just didn't make any sense.

"Maybe someone helped him?" — Maddox suggests but even if that were true, who would have helped Dax?

Who would have been able to leave the Dark Realm and help transport my mate and Dax? How could they have transported them without the use of magic?

"A car?" — Maddox asks, head tilting as tries to piece together everything too.

But I shake my head because that couldn't be it. — "There's no tire tracks. I don't smell any oil or that nasty plastic smell."

I would have noticed that the moment I got here but there was nothing in this old abandoned town except for my mate's scent.

Not even Dax's scent was here.