The Death of A Hero

Percy POV

We waited for Nico to come back until sunset.

Draco, Hermione and Annabeth had used a series of complex spells to turn the stick drawing of Will into a small carving, slicing it right out of the earth. Frank, Jason and I had busied ourselves getting the pyre ready. We carefully placed Will on top of it, his shroud being worked on by everyone not helping us and supervised by Annabeth and Hermione.

"It's ready." Ginny said, bringing us the golden material, bows and arrows snaking around the edge, entertwined with medical tape and bandages.

"Wow, it's really good."

Jason and I wrapped the son of Apollo's body in it.

"Should we wait for Nico?" Piper asked.

"No, it would just upset him. Does Will have his drachmas?" Hazel asked.

Frank dug in his pockets and pulled out a rather large bag of coins. "He does now."

The son of Mars tucked the bag into the dead body's hand.

We all stood back and I looked to Leo. "Light it."

Soon, a golden flame stretched to the sky, blazing as we each took turns speaking about Will. Annabeth gave a beautiful eulugy that she and the girls had written together. Draco just waved a hand when we looked to him, as did Neville and the other wizards. The Hunters simply watched quietly.

"I didn't know him much, but he seemed nice. I will miss the brother I never got to spend time with." Emmy didn't bother wiping away the tears on her face.

"Will, you were more helpful than you knew. You will be missed by all." Jason said.

"You always patched me up when stuff went wrong, you were the nicest guy at camp. Thank you for showing me the ropes when I first showed up." Leo murmured.

Frank was too choked up to say anything, so I decided to finish it up. "Will Solace, you will be dearly missed. If you aren't in Elysium right now I will personally come kick some sense into Hades. Rest in Peace, hero of Olympus."

We stood in silence as the flames continued to roar, a vigil for one who deserved it.

"I love you, Will." A quiet voice said from behind us.

Nico walked up to the fire, ignoring the eyes on him. "I love you so much and I'm sorry I couldn't tell you that before this. I was scared, I didn't think you'd return the favor. Ti voglio bene, il sole. E mi ricorderò di te." He tossed something into the flames that made them flare a dark red before returning to their regular color, then stepped back and stood with us in silence.

-----------------------------

"What now?" Ginny asked quietly when the flames finally burned low.

"We go to bed and worry about everything else tomorrow." Annabeth answered firmly, her arm wrapped around my waist and mine around her shoulders.

"I don't want to face all those people." Hazel said quietly.

We looked to the castle, where lights were still on and curious noses were pressed against thick glass.

"We don't have to." I announced. "We're going to walk right past them and go to the Room of Requirement."

"And how do you propose we do that?" Thalia asked.

"Follow my lead."

I marched up to the castle, the group of about forty demigods behind me.

The doors opened as we neared them and students flooded out.