Communing with the Dead

[A/N Switching this one to permanent third person too. It's just faster and easier for me. I'm probably gonna do it with most of my stories where I jump from person to person]

Harry snuck out of the Gryffindor common room late that night. He gave himself about a half an hour to get down to the spot that Percy had told him about. The halls were silent, other than the occasional patrolling professor or demigod. They were making rounds to try and find monsters.

He got to the main doors of the building just as Percy was pushing them open. "Jackson."

The son of Poseidon looked up and offered him a tight smile. "Hey. Nico's meeting us down there."

"Di Angelo? Why?"

"You'll see." Percy started out onto the grounds. He seemed unworried, but Harry could see the slight tension in his shoulder, and his hand that stayed near the pocket he kept Riptide in.

"Percy, what are we doing?"

"Think up a list of people you wished were still alive to fight this war." Percy said simply.

"What?" Harry asked sharply.

"You heard me."

"I- how many can I choose?"

"I'd say probably five or six. If they're available."

"What does that mean?" Harry frowned.

"Some of them may have chosen rebirth." Percy glanced behind them. "If they have, Nico won't be able to get to them."

"Nico... the son of death?"

"Not quite. Thanatos is the god of death, Hades is the god of the Underworld."

"But he's doing something to bring back dead?"

"I'm trading myself to get several dead heroes back temporarily." Percy nodded. "You can too, if you want to."

Harry stopped walking. The son of Poseidon turned to face him.

"Is this permanent?" He asked slowly.

"Nope. We'll be put in a stasis and held in the palace of Thanatos. Once the war is one or all the heroes we are retrieving die, we'll be revived and brought back here."

Harry clenched his fists, thinking hard.

"If you want to turn back, this is pretty much your last chance." Percy told him. "I can see Nico."

"Hold on. I'm thinking." He covered his face with his hands, muttering names to himself.

Percy waited patiently.

"Okay. I'll do it." Harry looked up.

"Alright. Lets go."

The two of them walked down to meet Nico. He had already dug a large trench and filled it with food.

"Where did you get all that?" Percy asked.

"The house elves are more than happy to help if you ask them for food." Nico shrugged.

He nodded. "I've got more people for you to summon."

Nico raised his eyebrows. "Thanatos won't be happy."

"For the boy who evaded him multiple times in the past two decades, I think he'll take it." Percy jerked a thumb at Harry.

The son of Hades narrowed his eyes at the Wizarding World's hero. "I guess we'll see." Was all he said.

"Do you want to go first?" Percy asked. It took Harry a moment to realize he was the one being asked the question.

"Oh- yeah, I can."

"Who do you want back?" Nico asked.

"Remus and Nymphadora Lupin, Fred Weasley, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew." Harry listed.

Nico nodded and closed his eyes. "Alright.... they're all available. Any messages you'd like me to pass on? You'll be unconscious before they manifest fully."

Harry nodded. "Just one. Tell Peter this is his chance to redeem himself."

"Is there a way you can prevent them from siding with the enemy?" Percy asked Nico.

He nodded.

"Good."

"Harry, come over here."

Harry slowly walked over to Nico. "Will it hurt?"

"I don't know. No one's ever tried this before."

Percy watched Harry for signs of backing out, but he watched as the boy straightened his back and took a deep breath. "Alright. What do I have to do?"

"Stand here. Stay still. And close your eyes."

Harry took another deep breath.

Nico held his hands out over the trench and began to chant in a mix of Ancient Greek and Latin. Percy stayed back, so that only the two were close enough to be engulfed in the shadows that surrounded the ditch.

After a few minutes, the smoke cleared. Harry was gone, and five people stood in his place.

"Peter Pettigrew, Harry Potter has a message for you." Nico said calmly. "He says this is your chance to redeem yourself."

The shortest of the group, a fat man with a ratlike face, huddled in on himself and nodded.

"What's going on?" Asked a tall man with scars across his face.

"James and Lily will be along in a moment. They'll explain. Go stand where Percy is."

The group hesitantly walked over to Percy.

"Alright, Jackson. Get over here."

Percy walked over and took Harry's place.

"Names, for clarification's sake. You can bring back six, Thanatos is capping it at that."

"Luke Castellan, Silena Beauregard, Charles Beckendorf, Ethan Nakamura, Michael Yew, and Lee Fletcher."

Nico closed his eyes, then frowned. "Lee chose rebirth. Do you want to bring anyone else back?"

Percy frowned. "I... There are too many to pick from. Just bring the five back."

The son of Hades nodded. "Alright, same as Harry. Stand still, eyes closed."

Percy glanced over at the group of wizards, who were currently reuniting with Lily and James Potter.

"Nico, do me a favor...."

"Tell Annabeth you love her?"

He looked back at his cousin and nodded. "Yeah. Thanks."

"No problem. Lets get this done."

Percy nodded and closed his eyes.