chapter 1

"A dream is what makes people love life even when it is painful" -Theodore Zeldin

Beep.

Beep.

Sound of my phone buzzing woke me up. I received 3 messages, 2 from Elena saying that they were in the park and will be home by 5 in the evening. And the other is from the office that I should be there tomorrow and it's very important. well, another important day then.

I sighed and checked the time ,it's 3 in the evening. I got tired from yesterday's journey. I hate these journeys, they make me stay away from home for two to three days. I got up from my bed telling myself to stop complaining about the life I'm living. I looked at myself in the long length mirror that was attached to the closet door. If I go out like this everyone will think that the city is under zombie attack. My hair is so messy and I'm damn sure it'll take an hour or more to make them free of knots. Not having the energy to do so I hit the shower first. I came out of the bathroom with a towel. I went into my closet , grabbed my pyjamas and quickly slipped in it. My stomach growled telling me I need to feed it.

I went into the kitchen to find something to eat. I found a chocolate bar in a fridge. I grabbed it and started eating. Fridge is almost empty. I think I have to go shopping.

I look at my phone for time. It's 4 o'clock, I still have one hour until they return. I went into my room and changed into light blue jeans and a butterfly top. I put my messy hair in a bun. I decided to take a walk, the grocery store is only a few blocks away. I locked the doors of my apartment and rode the elevator.

After a few minutes of walking I was in front of the grocery store. I loaded the basket with groceries I needed. I didn't take much, I'll ask Elena to shop for later. I went to the bill counter and paid for my groceries. I was out of the store and making my way to my apartment looking around the shops.

Suddenly I bumped into someone.

"Sorry! It's my bad." I said picking up the groceries that fell down.

"It's okay." She said and helped me to pick up the groceries. "Maria?" She suddenly asked from nowhere. I looked at her in surprise. What is she doing here?

"Julia!?" I threw my hands around her. She hugged me back.

"Where have you been all these years? No calls, no messages, nothing. I tried to contact you." She said with a little bit of anger and concern in her voice.

"In New York." I told her sarcastically.

She was my best friend in high school. After graduating from high school we parted our ways​. She moved to California to be with her grandparents and went to University there itself. I missed her so much but I was so caught up in my own life.

"Where are you doing now? Do you live nearby? Come with me. I have a lot to tell you. We'll go to my place." She said.

"No. I have to go." I denied her offer.

"No? There are no no's. You're coming with me and that's final." She said glaring at me. She left me no choice, I gave in and went with her.

After fifteen minutes driving in her car, the driver stopped the car in front of a two storey house. It was a simple beautiful house. It was a combination of hazel brown and white. I got out of the car. She invited me in. The interior designs of the house were so beautiful. It was amazing. But something was very familiar. We sat on the couch and the maid brought the tea. I said thank you, she smiled and nodded. I sipped my tea and something caught my eyes. The ring on her fourth finger. I don't know if she was married. She found that I was looking at her ring and she answered without me asking a question.

"It's been almost one and half years since I was married. It was an arranged marriage. I don't know why I agreed with this marriage then, but I'm happy now. At first we didn't like each other. Now we settled our differences." She said happily.

"Oh! What's his name?" I asked her.

"Raymond. Raymond Harper." she said blushing. I almost choked. What!? Raymond. Is he the same person I know? If he was, what would he say if he sees me here? He told me he doesn't want to see my face again. What am I supposed to do now? Someone cleared their throat. I turned around to look at the person, it was the one person whom I don't want to see now. It was Oliver, Oliver Miles. Raymond's brother. He wore his business suit. He was quite shocked to see me here. I can't tell what he is exactly thinking. His eyes showed happiness and also anger. I hate him. How can he do this to me? He cheated me on that bitch Stella.

"Oliver, this is my friend Maria Ross and Maria this is Oliver Miles, my husband's brother." She performed the introduction.

Before I say anything my phone starts ringing. I excused myself and went to answer my phone. It was an unknown number.

"Hello?" I said bringing my phone to my ear.

"Is this Maria Ross?" Asked from another side.

"Yeah?" I said.

"We're calling from St Pete's hospital. There is an accident. We think you know him. Can you come here?" She asked hesitantly. An accident. Who it will be?

"Okay. I'm coming." I said and hung up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys!

This is my first book. Thanks for giving this book a chance.

I hope you like this book.

*please comment ,vote and support me*