chapter 53

I woke up on a cold surface. A little warmth is coming from the little body hugging me. I tried to move my hands but I couldn't because they were tied at my back. My legs are tied too. I never thought I'd get kidnapped in my whole life.

"Mara? Baby, are you alright?" I called her. She lifted her head slowly. Her eyes are red because of crying.

"Mommy!" She hugged me tightly, even more crying.

"It's okay baby, don't cry." I can't even touch her to console her.

"I'm scared, mommy. You're not waking up." She said sobbing.

"Shh, it's okay. I'm up now. Did they hurt you?" I asked worried and at the same time wanting to be strong for her.

"They took my watch. It hurts." She showed me her bruised hand. I control myself not to talk profanities in front of her.

"They're going to pay for it, baby. Do you recognise them? Is this someone we met before?" I asked her. She shook her head.

Just then the door opened and a man in black dress like the guys I saw before I lost my consciousness. He was thinner compared to the others. He covered his face with black cloth. He had food in his hands.

"Who are you? What do you want?" I shouted at him.

"You wake up! Eat! And I don't know what the boss wants to do with you." He put slices of pizza on the small metal bed I'm lying in.

Boss?

"Who's your boss?" I asked him through gritted teeth.

"I can't tell you that." He said and turned to get out. I sighed no use in asking him.

"Untie me." He raised an eyebrow questioningly. He shook his head laughing. "How can I eat?"

He looked at me and then Mara. He sighed and came to untie my ropes.

"Don't try anything silly." He warned and untied my ropes. Both hands and legs. He went out after telling me to eat.

I rubbed my hands, these ropes hurt and they leave bruises. I looked around this room and it had only one door, no window or nothing. There's a small window for ventilation on top. There's a tubelight but I didn't see the switch board. There's no way to escape from here. I've to think of something. I pulled Mara closer to me.

Next morning the same guy brought food to us. I can only tell it's morning because of the light entering from the small window. I tried my luck again to find who kidnapped us and why. But I've no luck. He again came bringing food, I think it's afternoon.

I'm thinking of an escape plan, but I can't. I don't want to risk Mara's life or the twins by provoking the kidnappers. I don't know how time has passed. I can't sleep, I put Mara to sleep. She's bored and scared most of the time.

Some time after the door opened again. I was wondering, is it night already? But the person who entered is not the same guy who brought food. I stood up and hid Mara behind me. She clutched to my legs. I study the man's face. I've seen him before. I gasped when I recognised him.

"David Gallagher?" I asked, not believing my eyes. He was supposed to be in prison. How? How is he here?

"Glad I don't have to introduce myself." He laughed sarcastically.

"But ........but you should be in prison." I shuddered out of fear.

"You and your husband think so low of me. Do you think I can't escape from prison? How foolish of you?" He laughed and I shivered nervously. He continued talking when I didn't say anything. "Few years ago when you and Oliver were dating, I didn't know you were a threat to me. I've no problem with you back then, you're so naive. But I felt so happy after your breakup. I thought Oliver would be heartbroken and forget about his company. But he's not, anyway my half of my plan worked."