chapter 43

I woke up when I felt like my throat was burning. I tried to get up but Oliver's arm is pinning me to bed. I slowly lifted his hand and put it aside without waking him. That's what I think until he spoke.

"Where are you going?" He asked in his half sleep. His eyes are half open looking at me.

"Wa....water?" I said but I cringe, my voice sounds horrible even to me. I felt him nod and closed his eyes going back to sleep.

I pulled the blanket off and wore Oliver's t-shirt which I found on the floor. I sighed when I found the bottle empty. I want to wake Oliver and ask him to get me water. But I don't want to wake him, he looks so peaceful sleeping. I wear my panties and pyjamas. I headed downstairs and I stopped when I saw the lights on in the kitchen. I heard whispers and I slowly made my way to the kitchen. I found Hunter's back to me but I didn't see anyone other than him. Who's he talking to? I didn't see the phone either.

"Do you like it?" He asked slowly. I didn't hear the reply. He's facing the kitchen table. There must be someone in front of him.

"What's going on here?" I asked but regretted it immediately. My throat hurts even more. I gulped to soothe the pain. He turned around with a spoon in his mouth and an ice-cream bowl in his hand. Mara is sitting on the kitchen table. Her eyes widened seeing me. She had ice-cream on the side of her lips.

"What happened to your voice?" I shrug not wanting to talk. He put the bowl beside Mara and went to the fridge. I went to Mara, I want to scold her for sneaking at night but I can't trust my voice now. And she would definitely not take it seriously. I wiped the ice-cream off her face with my hand.

"Here." Hunter is back with a glass of water. I took it and immediately drank it. I felt the burning sensation go away. "Do you want more?"

I nodded and he poured water into the glass. I drink it slowly this time.

"What are you two doing here?" I asked when I felt better. Mara is looking down. I looked at Hunter, he's smiling.

"I came down and saw this little culprit sneaking for ice-cream and I joined her." He said like he found this amusing.

"Mara!"

"Sorry, mommy." She said, still looking down.

"Sneaking at night is bad baby, you shouldn't do it." I said lifting her chin. She nodded.

"You're saying sneaking during the day is good?" He asked. I glared at him and hit him on the shoulder. He laughed.

"No, it's bad too." I said to Mara. I looked at the bowl beside Mara. I want to eat ice-cream now. "I want to eat ice-cream. You guys left anything in the fridge?"

"You can eat that?" Hunter pointed to the bowl next to Mara. I made a disgusting face.

"No, you just ate that?" I said and I heard Mara giggle next to me. He rolled his eyes and went to the fridge. I saw him pulling the ice-cream pack and looking for a bowl. I took the bowl beside Mara and started feeding her. After two minutes he came with three scoops of chocolate ice-cream and a spoon.

"Here." I was about to take it then I heard a sound. It sounded like a gun. I heard Hunter groan and he dropped the bowl making glass shatter. He clutched his left hand with the other hand. My heart is beating so fast.

"Get down." He said and I immediately pulled Mara down. We're sitting down on the floor. I'm hugging Mara making sure she's okay. Hunter is sitting in front of us. He removed his hand and saw it was all covered in blood. Oh God, he's been shot. I closed Mara's eyes. He cursed a few words in French. Blood is dripping onto the floor.