chapter 36

I woke up to the sound of the door opening and closing. I opened my eyes and saw Mara tiptoeing to my bed with her stuffed animal clutched in her hands. It was dark outside.

"Baby, did you have a bad dream?" I asked worried. She shook her head.

"I want to sleep with you." She said rubbing her eyes with one hand.

"Oh, sweetheart! Come here." She came, I hugged her and made her sleep beside me. I kissed her forehead and then her cheeks.

"Good night, Mommy." She said after kissing my cheek.

"Good night, baby." I said and sooth her into sleep. She closed her eyes and fell into sleep.

I didn't fall asleep immediately, I'm looking at the ceiling painted white. My thoughts drifted to Oliver, suddenly I'm feeling nervous. What'd he say if I told him the truth? Would he believe me? Would he be mad at me? I remember his eyes this evening, so much love for me which I didn't deserve. I don't deserve him, but I'm afraid to leave him. If I leave him again my heart will stop beating. Only death can do us apart. Not him. Not me. Nor any other.

I looked at Mara who was sleeping with her both hands under her cheek. If everything went right five years ago, we would have a beautiful boy a year younger than Mara. I wanted to name him Asher. I wish I had a chance to see him, hold him in my arms. My eyes blurred, I blinked and tears rolled down. I placed my hand on my stomach where I could feel the bump of my jelly bean. I promise to keep you safe, my jelly bean.

I jolted awake when my phone started ringing non stop. I sat up carefully so that I won't wake Mara and reached my phone on the nightstand. I looked at the screen and saw Lucy, Oliver's mother calling me. I answered the call and put it near my ear.

"Hello! Good morning, Maria." She said on the other side excitedly.

"Good morning, Lucy." I said yawning.

"How are you?" She asked.

"I'm fine. How are you?" I asked in a sleepy voice.

"I'm good and want to meet my granddaughter." She said and I learnt that she came back from London two days before.

"Lucy, you can come whenever you want to meet her." I said.

"Well, I called to invite you to Thanksgiving tomorrow. I want to introduce you and Mara to everyone as you're now our family. I invited the whole family...." I cut her off. I'm suddenly feeling tense meeting his whole family. What will they think of me?

"Lucy, I.. I d-don't think I can come." I said. The thought of meeting his whole family made my insides upside down. And I don't trust my hormones.

"What? Why?"

"I...uh... I" I'm trying to think of something to say to escape but nothing came.

"Do you have other plans?" She asked, saving me.

"Yeah?" I hesitated.

"Oh! Can you at least send Mara?" She asked, disappointed.

"Yeah, I'll send her. I'm sorry, Lucy." I don't like disappointing her. Maybe should I say yes to her?

"It's okay. But I'm warning you don't make any plans for Christmas, I want to celebrate it with everyone, especially with you." I chuckled. Maybe I can prepare myself for Christmas.

"How about we celebrate Christmas here? Everyone is already here and we have to invite some more people." I suggested.

"That's a good idea." She said. "Okay, bye. I need to go shopping and buy some groceries and everything."