chapter 7

"The gift of true friendship is that it takes us by the hand and remind us. We are not alone in the journey of life."

Oliver POV

Hell!

My life is like a hell these days. I can't concentrate on my work. I was getting irritated by small things. I fired two of my employees in the last three days.

My mind is haunted by Maria's thoughts. All she was doing was just ignoring me. I want to talk to her. I need answers why she left. We were very happy in our relationship. Then one day my previous secretary Stella told me that Maria was cheating on me. She already had a lover named 'Sam'. Stella had proof of their chat. I read them too. It says 'love you', 'love you too', 'come home soon I'll be waiting for you' and so on like that. And from the next day I didn't see her. I don't want to believe Stella. But Maria's sudden disappearance made me more suspicious. Was she betraying me? Is Mara, Sam's and her daughter?

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts.

"Come in."

My secretary, Mark, entered holding an invitation. What must be it?

"What is it?" I asked him.

"Sir, this is an invitation to the gala that was held tonight." He said placing it on my table.

"I'm not interested. Take it away." I said rudely.

"Sir, it was a big gala many important businessmen will attend. You're one of the most important businessmen. So..." I didn't let him finish.

"Okay. I'm going , prepare my schedule." I told him. Maybe this will help me to distract myself.

"Okay, sir." He said and went to his office.

I, myself being the CEO of the Miles corporation, the billionaire. Every girl wants to throw herself on me for the money and the looks I had. But here, I'm thinking about one girl and can't get her out of my mind. What is happening to me? Why'd she has to come into my life again.

It's evening and I'm getting ready for the gala. I didn't see Maria today. I wonder where she was. She left Mara with Elena. Mara is such a sweet girl. I still didn't get the answer who her father is? Has he abandoned them? Is he the guy called 'SAM'?

There are so many questions unanswered. I'll soon find the answers to my every unanswered question. There was a knock on the door. I turned my head before looking at myself in the mirror.

"Hey!" Raymond said coming into my room. And sat on the bed.

"Hi. How are you doing? Does it still hurt?" I asked him, pointing to his bandaged hand.

"No. I'm fine." He said. Something is off with him. He is usually a very cheerful person.

"Is everything alright?" I asked and sat beside him.

"Yes. Are you going somewhere?" He asked.

"Yeah. I have to attend a gala." I said boringly.

"Oh! Have you seen Ria?" He asked.

"Ria? Who?" I asked him not knowing who he was talking about.

"Maria! I didn't see her in the morning. I asked Elena and she said she didn't know where she went. I know she is lying. Did you happen to see her?" I feel the tense in his voice.

Why is he so worried about Maria? When did he start calling her with nicknames. They met a few days before and she was not the person who makes friends instantly.

"No." I said.

We stayed silent for a few minutes. I can't get what is happening here. Why is he asking about Maria?

"Is something wrong?" I asked him to break the silence.

"Nothing. It's just..........I uh..... need to talk to her." He said. I nodded and didn't say anything. Why does he need to talk with her?

"I think you're getting late. I'll catch you later." He said and left my room.

I was now at the gala. Many important business men attend with their dates. I didn't have a date. Before Maria I never had a girl in my life and after she left I didn't allow any girl in my life. She was the one I had. She is my first and will be my last.

The two gentlemen in front of me were talking about business. I never paid attention to them. I was occupied with my own thoughts. Suddenly the front door opened and a couple entered. I blinked twice no thrice not believing what I'm seeing.

Is this real? Or am I just dreaming? What is she doing here? And that too with Rafael Williams. He was a certified playboy. He was Scarlett's brother. He too was a successful businessman.

She was scanning the place around. Our eyes met. She was shocked as I was. He placed his hand around her protectively. My blood boiled, how dare he touch her. She looked at Rafael and smiled.

Maria was wearing a red dress. She was so beautiful in that dress. She looks like an angel. Everyone in this hall was looking at her in awe.

"Mr. Miles. It's nice meeting you here." I looked at the person who called me.

"Mr. Monty, nice meeting you too." I told him and shook his hand.

I looked around to find Maria. But I lost her. I didn't see her anywhere near. Mr. Monty was talking about business but mind was preoccupied. He was an old man in his late fifties. He was a good and kind hearted man. I was looking here and there in search of her.

"Young man! Are you searching for your love?" He said, suddenly grabbing my full attention.

"Sorry?" I said and questioned him at the same time.

"Your eyes are telling me that you are missing her badly." He said, having a smirk on his face. I gave him a small smile.

I excused myself and left him with Mrs. Monty who just joined us. I saw Rafael and Maria in each other's arms laughing. They are leaving the hall. I made my fingers into a tight fist.

I want to kill someone now. I want to kick someone very hard. I turned around not wanting to look at them and bumped into someone.

"What the.......!"

"Sorry. It's my fault. I didn't see where I'm going." A familiar lady voice cut me off.

She lifted her head to look at me.

I froze.

She froze.

Hey guys!!!!!!

HAPPY FRIENDSHIP DAY.

                                                 *please vote & comment*