chapter 30

Note: Read chapter 29 before this. I updated in minutes gap. I don't want you guys miss chapter 29. 

"The true mark of  maturity is when somebody hurts you and you try to understand their situation instead of trying to hurt them back."-fbquotes.com

Oliver POV

I'm currently sitting on the couch listening to Mara, she's telling what happened in school. I'm only half listening to her. Mara sat in between me and Raymond, Maria and Julia occupied the seats opposite to us. Julia and Raymond are listening to every word Mara is saying and enjoying themselves. And Maria is in deep thoughts and smiles whenever Mara looks at her. She flinched when the doorbell rang and quickly went to see. Why is she acting weird? She returned with Rafael and a girl who I didn't know.

"Uncle Rafael! Aunt Amy!" Mara squealed happily when she saw them and ran to them. They hugged and kissed her.

"Hi!" Rafael said.

"Hi!" Julia and Raymond said at the same time. He looked at me and I gave a slight nod. The girl nudged his chest.

"Oh! She's my fiance, Amelia and Amy, he's Raymond Mara's father and his wife Julia and this is Oliver." Julia got up, hugged her and congratulated them. Raymond was also up to congratulate them.

"Congr....." The girl stopped him by holding up her hand.

"Baby, turn around and don't see." She said to Mara and Mara did the same. We all are confused. As Mara fully turned around she hit his nose. Everyone gasped and Rafael held her back when she was about to hit him again. I got up angrily, how dare she hit my brother. "That's for leaving five years back."

"I think I deserve it." He said holding his nose. Julia came for aid. He told her he was okay. Maria held her head down in guilt. Amy is still furious, Rafael trying to hold her back.

I was about to yell at her but she beat me with her tone. "And you, you're such a dick and bloody bastard...."

"I think that's enough Amelia." Maria scolded her and knelt down in front of Mara. She said in her sweet tone. "Baby, don't repeat anything you heard. Okay?"

Mara nodded and they hugged.

"I'm sorry, I forgot she's here." Amelia said in guilt.

"I need to talk to you guys." Maria said to both Rafael and Amelia. As three of them disappeared Mara came to me. I sat on the couch and picked her to sit next to facing me. Raymond and Julia got settled down opposite to us.

"Daddy, why did Aunt Amy yell at you?" She asked in innocence.

"Maybe she thinks I am going to hurt you." I said, I didn't even know the exact reason why she yelled at me. Did Maria make me bad in front of them?

"Maybe you hurt Mommy, maybe because you're not there to comfort her when she cries at night because of you." She finished and I saw a small tear rolling down her cheek. Thinking of Maria crying because of me made my heart bleed.

"Baby, I....." She cut me off, placing her index finger on my lips.

"Shh... Mommy doesn't want me to find out about her crying at night and mainly her bad dreams. Don't tell her I know about that." She said like an adult. She's very mature for her age.

"How do you know that?" I asked.

"I heard uncle Rafael and Mommy talking. She won't cry in front of me. She thinks I came to her room because I'm afraid of being alone but she never had a bad dream when I slept with her." She said feeling proud that she's helping her mother to sleep peacefully. We all are surprised at her choice of words.