chapter 26

"You have no idea how fast my heart beats when I see your face and hear your voice."-lovequotes.com

"What the hell happened now?" I asked Rafael, freeing my hand from his grip. He literally dragged me from Oliver. Oliver didn't say anything; he stayed silent eyes on me. "You're an idiot. Do you have any idea what he'll think? He thinks you proposed to me. You just messed up everything. He's already hurt by me, you made it worse."

"Woah! Calm down. Why are you shouting at me? Why will he think I proposed to you?" He asked me. I stayed silent looking at the grass far away.

"Maria?" He called, making me look at him. My eyes are watered.

I told him the last part of the conversation Oliver and I had a week ago. Rafael's mouth was wide open with shock. We noticed Oliver and Raymond walking towards us, not towards us towards their car parked in front of us.

"I'll talk to him, tell him this is all misunderstanding." Rafael whispered in my ear. Oliver glared at Rafael and gave me a look. What is it? Is it hope in his eyes? He wants me to come back to him? The tears rolled down my cheeks. I want to hug him and kiss him. I looked away. I didn't want him to see me crying. I wiped away my tears and looked up to find him gone.

"Oliv-" Raymond stopped Rafael reaching for Oliver who climbed his car just now.

"Don't." Raymond said to Rafael, and turned to me. "I hope you'll make the right decision, Maria."

He said and disappeared into the car. I don't want to take my eyes off Oliver. His hands are holding the steering wheel tightly, his knuckles are pale and his eyes are cold which made a shiver run down my spine. I looked away from him and noticed a man in black jeans and orange t-shirt smoking a cigarette. It was strange that he was standing there for quite long. First I ignored him but now I'm suspicious. He's looking our way, but he didn't acknowledge me looking at him.

Oliver drove away, the strange man threw his cigarette away and got in his small red car. He started driving in the direction where Oliver went. This got me more suspicious.

"Come, we have to go. Give me the keys." I asked him. He opened his mouth to protest but closed and gave me keys. It's very rare I asked his car to drive. He sat in the passenger seat and I sat in the driver seat. I started the engine and started following the red car.

My suspicion is true. He is following Oliver's car. Who is he? Why is he following Oliver? Is he one of Victor's men?

"Why are you following that red car?" My train of thoughts was interrupted by Rafael. I didn't say anything but pointed him to look ahead. He looked and his eyes widened. "Do you think he's following Oliver?"

"There's a number plate, I want the details." I said, pointing to the number plate. He picked up his phone and made a call. I concentrated on the car, I don't want to miss where it is going. I want to make sure whether he is following Oliver or not. I may be wrong sometimes.

"Alan said, he'll call back in five minutes." Rafael said after he finished his call. I nodded. We were in a line, Oliver in front, next this strange guy and next me. I think I'm following him from a safe distance, without him knowing.

Rafael's phone rang after five minutes, he answered and put on speaker. "Tell me Alan, you got something."

I heard Alan clear his throat. "Yeah. This car belongs to Mr Smith, but he lost it a month ago. The case was reported after the day it was stolen." Alan explained. "Is everything alright Rafael?"