chapter 21

"At some point, you have to realise that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life."-sad-love-quotes   

I came out of the doctor's office with abortion papers in my hand. Rafael sat outside sitting on the chair waiting for me. I cleared my throat, he looked up at me and rose from his seat. He smiled sadly.

"Let's go." I said and he nodded. We walked silently to the elevator. He didn't say a word. I know he was not pleased with my decision. He didn't want me to do this. We stepped into the elevator. There was already a person in the elevator looking down hoodie over his head and wearing blue jeans. He had a tattoo on the back of his right hand. It looks somewhat familiar. Everyone has the same kind of tattoos these days. Maybe I looked at it now and then so it is familiar.

"Is it necessary?" Rafael talked for the first time we came here. I turned my attention to him. "The whole abortion thing. You know you don't have to leave this city, Mara and live somewhere else where you have no friends, no fa......"

"I know what you are saying but I have to do this. This is the best for everyone. I don't want anything to happen to Mara just because she is living with me. I promised Sam to take care of her. I have to break that promise if I live with her anymore. I don't want to do that. She has a family now. I can't take that away from her. And Oliver, he didn't have to worry about the baby, he didn't like me for what I have done. I'm not a burden to him anymore. He can be with whoever he wants. He definitely hates me for this." I said raising the papers in my hand. I know he hates me for this but I couldn't find any option other than this.

"Can you live without them?" He asked. I nodded.

"I can live thinking that they were living somewhere on this earth but I can't live if something happened to them. Just because I love them. I hope you understand that I need to leave this place." He nodded and we stayed silent for a few minutes. We got out of the elevator when we reached the cellar.

"I'm going to miss you." He said when we reached his car.

"I'll miss you too." I said and hugged him. He gave the best brotherly love I didn't receive from my own brother. My brother, he is living far away from me. I miss him sometimes. But Rafael was there all the time when I needed a shoulder to cry. He teases me sometimes but he always wants to make me happy.

We pulled away and I felt someone's eyes on us. I looked back, the guy from the elevator turned around and walked away from us. I didn't see his face but I feel odd about him. I don't know how much he heard from our conversation. Rafael opened the door for me to get it. I got in, forgetting the guy from the elevator.

We didn't talk much in the car. We talked about Mara, a little about Oliver. I booked my flight ticket to Australia. Rafael didn't know about this. I told him I was going to Mexico. I don't know if I'll ever return to this place again. I'll miss New York, my home for twenty five years.

Soon he stopped the car in front of the mansion. My heart is beating like it's going to come out anytime soon. My hands are sweating, I hold the papers tightly. I don't know what I'm going to tell Oliver when I get inside. How did he react?

"Do you want me to come inside?" Rafael asked, seeing me nervous.

"No, you can go. You coming inside won't help me." I said. He nodded in understanding.

I opened the door and got out. I waited for him to drive away. He drove away unwillingly. I turned to the front door and I wanted to run away now, not wanting to face anyone. But I want to see Mara once before leaving.

I made my way to the living room. I saw Oliver and Raymond sat on the couch side by side Oliver with his head in his hands and Raymond seeing him sympathetically. Julia, Alex and Scarlett sat opposite to them. The silence was filled in the room, do I have to be afraid of this silence? I looked for Mara and she is not there. Maybe it's best time to tell him then I can look for Mara. Raymond saw me and smiled brightly. I didn't understand why he was smiling at me like that. He tapped on Oliver's shoulder, he looked at him and then followed his eyes and saw me. He immediately stood and came to me. I hold the papers even more tightly. I don't know what happened here when I'm gone. Oliver hugged me suddenly and I gasped.