chapter 27

"I need you. Because you make me laugh more than anyone else. And I am the best me when I am with you. And because when you are gone, nothing feels right until you return."-lovemissingquotes.com

I stayed silent, words struck in my throat. My mind went blank. What should I say to him, should I talk to him or should I hang up.

"Hello?" He said once again.

"Oliver!" I whispered. I don't know how he's going to react. Will he shout at me? He doesn't know I'm in my parents house. He thinks....

"Maria?" He let out his voice in a question.

"Yeah. Did I disturb you?" I asked.

"Actually no, I don't know Mara has a phone." He said and I sighed. I heard footsteps, maybe he's pacing.

"I just gave her, in case she wants to talk with me." I said. We stayed silent for a few minutes. "How's Mara? What's she doing?"

"She just slept. She's fine." He said and I sighed in relief. "She kept on asking where you are. She said you won't go anywhere without telling her."

"Oliver, my father had a heart surgery. He's in hospital." I said trying to control my tears.

"I.... I'm sorry. I didn't know. Is he alright?"

"Yeah. He's fine now. He's going to discharge in two days, I think maybe I should be here. What do you say?" I asked. Why am I asking his opinion? Why do I care about his feelings?

.... because he is important to you. Because you love him.

"Uh.. yeah, your father feels better if you're with him." He said I can feel the sadness in his voice.

"Thank you." I said.

"For what?"

"I don't know. I just feel like I need to tell you." I said. I leaned back over the couch and closed my eyes. There's an awkward silence.

"Mar...."

"Maybe you should sleep, I'll call tomorrow." I cut him off.

"Yeah."

"Oliver, you're trying to say something?"

"It's uh..... It's nothing." He said. I felt bad that I cut him off and now he's not telling me what he wanted to say.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "Maybe we need to talk." I suggested.

"Maria! Do you mind if I order pizza?" Rafael shouted from the kitchen.

"Maybe you don't need me to talk." He said ruthlessly and hung up on me. How dare he hang up on me?

"What happened? You look like a fish." Rafael asked when saw me with my mouth wide open. I closed my mouth.

"How dare he hang up on me!" I yelled, throwing my phone on the couch.

"Who?"

"Don't you dare to ask me. It's all because of you, why do you need to ask me you're going to order your bloody pizza anyway." I yelled and got up from the couch.

"I'm.... sorry. And I think I can make it up to you by paying for pizza." He said pleading with his eyes.

"You and your bloody pizza, I don't need anything."

"Come on, you need to eat. For the little creature in you." He said, I stopped in my tracks. Yes, he's right I should eat. I need to care about my baby. I went back and sat on the couch. Rafael slipped next to me.