chapter 4

"To love is nothing. To be loved is something. But to love and be loved , that's everything."                    -  T. Tolis

I felt someone pinch my nose. I open my eyes slowly.

"Good morning, Mommy." Mara said when she saw I opened my eyes fully.

"Good morning, princess. How did you sleep?" I asked her sitting on the bed.

"Fine. Let's go down. I'm hungry." She said, placing her hands under her chin. Then I completely looked at her, she was already ready. She wore a frock and her smooth silky hair was loose and had a matching hair band. She was small, but she can do her things without my help.

"Baby, I'm not ready yet. Is Elena here?" I asked her and she nodded. "Okay. Go to her. I'll be down in ten minutes." I said and kissed her cheek.

"Okay!" She said and went outside the room. I smiled.

My smile disappeared when I looked at myself in the mirror. I cried a lot yesterday. Maybe I shouldn't be here. But now I can't go back. Can I? I didn't go downstairs yesterday, I'm afraid to face Raymond again. I don't know what to do. I can't tell Raymond about Mara and at the same time I don't want Mara to be away from her father. She needs her father to care about her and to play with her. I was brought back to reality when someone knocked on the door. I turned my head and Julia was standing at the door entrance.

"Are you okay? You didn't come out of your room yesterday." She asked.

"I'm fine." I said.

"What happened? You look pale." She asked and sat on the bed.

"It's nothing. I didn't sleep well last night." I lied. Actually when I cry I get sleep easily. I'll sleep while crying. It's the best thing right, you don't have to cry much.

"Are you coming for breakfast or do you want me to bring here?" She asked. She doesn't want any of her friends to be uncared. She cares a lot about her friends.

"No, I'm coming down in ten minutes." I said.

"Ok. I'll be waiting. Come soon." She said and then gone.

I quickly got up from my bed and did my daily routine. I got out with a sky blue robe from the shower. I wore blue jeans and a crop top. I don't know how to apply makeup. I care less about that. I just applied eyeliner and went downstairs. I heard people laughing and talking. I made my way to the dining area. Everyone in the dining area stopped what they were doing and looked at me. I feel strange to be here.

"Hi" I murmured. There seated Raymond, Julia, two men who I don't know and Katherine. I didn't expect to see her here. She immediately rose from her seat and hugged me.

"I missed you. I missed you so much." She said.

"I missed you too." I said. I am very happy to meet a friend after a long time.

"Kathie? Are you trying to kill me?" I joked. She immediately pulled back from her tight embrace.

"Sorry. So, Tell me what you are hiding from?" She asked.

"What!?" I didn't get what she asked.

"You didn't contact us. You must be hiding from someone or something." She asked teasingly.

"I am not hiding from anyone or anything." I said. I heard everyone laughing. One of the men rose from his seat and placed a hand on Kathie's shoulder.

"Hi. I'm Jason Spencer, her husband." He smiled and extended his other hand towards me. I returned a smile and took his hand.

"Maria Ross. Nice meeting you Mr Spencer." I said and removed my hand from his grip.

" Nice meeting you too. Call me Jason." I nodded.

I looked at Raymond who was seated beside Julia. I can feel sorry in his eyes. But it's not easy for me to forgive. Julia introduced me to Robert Cooper, the other man. She said that he is a friend of Raymond. He was looking good himself. I heard Mara's voice and turned my head. She was coming out laughing from the kitchen holding someone's hand. I gasped looking at the person. Oliver stopped in his tracks when he saw me. He was holding a dish in one hand and the other was in Mara's hand. Our eyes met, we looked at each other for a few seconds. I averted my gaze from him.

"Mommy!" She ran to me as soon as she saw me. I picked her up and kissed her cheek. I looked at Oliver, he was staring at me blankly.

Oliver POV

What!?

I didn't understand what's going on here for a few seconds. I was looking at her blankly . I was shocked, it was an understatement. When I met her two weeks ago I thought I could get her back. I don't know how I lived these years without her. She is my breath. It's hard to live without her by my side. I even hired a private investigator to find her whereabouts. And he found nothing about her. Now she was standing in front of me with her daughter.

I feel like someone is stabbing my heart with a knife continuously . She was talking with Julia and Katherine. I didn't pay attention to what they were saying. She had a smile on her face but that didn't reach her eyes.

We all sat down to have breakfast. I don't want to eat anymore. I was just playing with my food thinking about Maria. What she did to me. Why would she leave me in the first place?

"......... Oliver! Scarlett is coming in two to three days." I lifted my gaze to Julia when she mentioned my name. I didn't say anything. Scarlett Williams is my fiancee, I don't love her. She is just my friend. I don't know why my mother is forcing me to marry her after I told my mother that I don't love her and don't want to marry her.

"Raymond, Oliver, Maria." I heard Julia calling our names. We looked at each other. "Are you guys okay? You didn't even touch your food." Then I looked at the food. She was right, we didn't touch our food.

"I'm just...... I'm just not hungry." Maria said, rising from her seat. She looked at Mara who had just finished her breakfast. She held her hand and ready to leave.

"But you didn't eat last night too." Julia reasoned.

"I'm not hungry." She said and left the place.

I was looking at her leaving the place and then I realized that she didn't have a ring on her finger. That means she was not married. Or is she divorced? Or her husband died? So many questions are revolving in my head.

I looked at Raymond, he was not only my brother. He was like my best friend. He knows everything that happened in my life. But I didn't tell him about Maria, my love. The day I thought I would introduce her to my family, is the day she left me.

Maybe I should tell him. He will help me with my situation.

                                            *please comment & vote*