chapter 35

"Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best."-bestquotes.com

We're on our way back home. Raymond is looking outside the window since we got in the car. He didn't say a word.

"Ray......."

"I don't know anything, nothing. I don't know anything about my daughter. I didn't even know my daughter's name. Dammit!" He said hitting the dashboard.

"Raymond, I'm sorry. I should have told you before." I said.

"It's not your fault. I'm not a good father." He said, still looking out.

"Don't say that." I said. "Raymond, look at me."

"What?"

"Look, you're new to this. You just learnt that you're a father months ago. Come on, you're a great father." I said.

"Can I ask you something?" He asked.

"Shoot."

"Why did you abort the baby?" I hit the brakes, seat belts stopped us from hitting the dashboard.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see the lights." I started the engine when it turned green.

Rest of the ride was silent. It was dead silent. I didn't answer his question and he didn't push me anymore. I parked and got out of the car.

"Is it Oliver's? The baby?" Raymond asked. I looked at him.

"I never slept with anyone except Oliver in my whole life." I said and got out of the car.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ask you that way. I'm sorry, really." He apologized.

"I forgive you if you forgive me for not telling anything about Mara." I said.

"I'm not mad at you." He said and gave me a friendly hug, I missed for years. "Wait! It means that you don't have to pay for this house."

"No and don't tell anyone. It's a little secret between us." I said and he nodded smiling.

As we entered the living room we saw Oliver was laying on the couch and Mara was on his chest sleeping. Oliver is not sleeping but he's thinking. He glared at us when he saw us. Oh God! I'm in trouble. He tried to get up but stopped when Mara stirred in her sleep. I took her and lulled her to sleep. I looked at Oliver, his eyes are red looks like he didn't sleep all night. I took Mara to her room and lay her on her bed. Minutes later Raymond came smiling and kissed Mara's forehead and sat on the other side of Mara.

"What's with the smile?" I asked.

"Oliver is so worried about you. He yelled at me for taking you out at night. And I stood there thinking "did I take you out?'' He warned me it shouldn't repeat again. When did he become my father?" He asked, I couldn't help but laugh. He laughed with me. I looked down at Mara, she wide awake and smiling wide looking at me.

"I love you, Mommy." She hugged me tightly.

"I love you too, baby." I kissed her hair.

"You know daddy loves you too." Raymond said, frowning. We both giggled and Mara hugged him.

"I love you too, daddy." She said and kissed his cheek. Then I heard a click, I snapped my head towards the door. Julia stood there with her camera clicking pictures of father and daughter.

"This goes to my album." She said with a wide smile.

"Hey!" I said.

"Where were you two last night? You weren't cheating me, were you?" She asked.