Chapter 41 ~ Realising

~ Ali's POV ~

The penguins danced around me in little circles and by the look on their face they were having the time of their life. I stood between them smiling at them all. I felt like I was floating between them and that every single problem that was drowning me right now was just lost in the icebergs.

They all had cute little happy feet and some were singing beautifully. Like Alex's singing but Alex's singing is better. That's a fact.

As I was dancing with them, some departed and some looked like they were flying away. It kept on happening until there was one left. there was one penguin standing there but he had lost his smile.

I looked behind me seeing a silhouette of someone far away. I started shaking and getting nervous of who it could be. They looked familiar.

They started coming closer so I tried moving away like I usually do. But it was like I was pinned down. It was like I was drowning and couldn't come up for air. I used all my strength but I was wasting it.

The silhouette was so close now and I saw their face. At this point if I wasn't pinned to standing up, I would have collapsed.

Its obvious who it was.

My...my father.

Why do I even call him my father. He's a man who abused me. He was no father to me.

He stared down at me with that haunting glare he gave me when I used to come home from school. That glare could scare me off my feet. This brought back way too many horrible memories.

He then did something that could have killed me with fear. He un did his belt which was around his too big trousers and he held it up like he always did. He wrapped it around his fingers which had skin peeling and made sure it was tight in his grip.

He held it over his shoulder like he would when I didn't do the house chores. I wouldn't do them because I would have homework.

It was the scariest thing ever and nothing could stop me screaming. I screamed the loudest I could which wasn't loud because it was like my voice was breaking.

I felt my eyes start to go black and felt so un alive.

But just through the cracks of my blacking out eyes I saw someone run towards me. I lifted my head a bit looking to see but I couldn't catch a glimpse of his face before they jumped onto my...father.

It felt like slow motion and I watched them start to fight. I covered my eyes but I could still see it.

Moments later the man stood back up looking at my...father with fast breaths. He looked over to me as a tear ran down my cheek. They came towards me and wrapped their arms round me and picked me up. I didn't feel pinned down. I felt free.

I looked into the mans eyes and saw Alex's stunning brown eyes looking back at me.

"Words can't make you believe." He started.

"But they can help." I said without thinking. We both smiled at eachother and I was forgetting what had just happened.

"Your safe with me Ali."

I then opened my eyes. I looked around nervously seeing I was in my crib very normally. Nothing wrong here Ali, your fine. It was morning now so I rubbed my eyes.

But..that dream.. it...it made me think.

It was like... everything that had happened before now had been pinning me down. I couldn't get out and was stuck in the land of fear and pain.

But now... that wasn't the case... It was like... the first time Alex held me in his arms was when my whole life gave me a breathing hole. I could finally be free of being pinned down. I didn't feel like I was drowning anymore. I felt I was swimming.