Chapter 54

Eleanor Leywin's POV

The news of an approaching battle spread like wildfire in a matter of minutes. I knew we'd be fighting a variety of foes, but the scope of the combat eluded me. My mother and father seemed to have little imagination about it.

I inquired several times, but they simply told me that everything would be great. I sincerely hope so, since I'm becoming increasingly terrified of it. Even Uncle Vincent is emptying his pockets just to buy a few products and stack them like rodents.

A few days after the announcement, we received a letter from the royal family. Yes, we received the same letter as Uncle Vincent. Shelters will be created for little noble households with less power than others.

But we weren't nobles. Maybe this is my brother's doing? I'm not sure, but I believe he had tight ties to the royal family. Like Art, Ash had some connections with people from higher levels... Hmph! Art was simply a womanizer!

Remembering Art made me depressed once more; I'm afraid of losing my brothers...

"Your highness, Ma'am. Please don't fret, my liege will take care of everything!" I haven't mentioned my little friend, have I?

The little shadowy figure that manifests close to my head introduced itself as Beru and begged me to not tell my brother anything. I guess, he is very afraid or maybe too loyal to my brother. I knew Ash had special pets, but this one is vastly different. Interesting. Where is my puppy, Dobby?

"Is there anything worrying you, Ma'am?" Beru pursued me more, inquiring if I had something on my mind that bothered me.

"Nothing, but I'm wondering where Dobby is." In an attempt to locate Dobby, I looked around. There was no sign of Dobby.

"Should I bring this ungrateful do- Puppy for you, Ma'am?" The purple-glowing eyes of Beru narrowed dangerously.

"Y-Yes." Beru's aura had changed dramatically, and it now had a black vibe about it. What exactly is going to happen to Dobby?

"Then I shall bring him immediately." I shivered when Beru faded completely from my shadow. It felt like my own shadow was trembling.

After a few seconds of waiting, Beru once again popped next to my head, with a satisfied look in his eyes.

"*Woof!*" Dobby also popped out right next to me.

"Ehh!!" I panicked and leaped away from my perch. Are they ganging up on me? Why are they bullying me?!

I pretended to cry, covering my eyes with my hands while also letting out fake sniffles.

"Did this jerk of a servant upset you, Ma'am? I'll take the punishment!" Hearing Beru's frightened words, I smirked and exposed my wicked eyes. When it noticed that on my face, Beru's shadowy figure slumped down on the ground.

"My lady...why?..." His lovely purple eyes welled up with imaginary tears, making me a little sad in the process too. But I knew Beru was forgiving, so I didn't take it to my heart.

"Anyhow, we have to hurry up. Mom will get mad." I grabbed Dobby and ran inside the manor, embracing him as firmly as I could.

"Ellie!" I heard my mom shout. By now, they had probably finished packing up their luggage. It was time to leave for our new home... or rather, shelter.

"Yeah, I just picked up Dobby!" I responded and accelerated my pace.
____________________________________________________________________________

As we drove across the huge regions of the beast glades, the carriage shook severely. Because there were no teleportation gates at our destination, we had to travel by carriage on our own. I was looking out the window at the world outside. This wasn't my first time in the beast glades. My brother brought me here once on my own initiative, and it was not a pleasant experience.