Since When Was The QB Gay P2!

Lance and Keith's senior year is finally coming to a close. Their days are numbered at Altea High and soon the two will be released into the world as adults. Well, almost adults. Lance is downright thrilled about graduation and it's almost all he can think about. Understandable, as he does have a promising future ahead of him.

Keith, however, is insecure at the idea. He always hated school, and it wasn't until Lance that he grew more comfortable with going to school everyday—looking forward to it even. And with his boyfriend being the outstanding student he is, Keith finds himself trying harder too; taking those C's and rare B's to A's with rare B's. But Keith has never really given much thought to his future, some part of him never thought he'd make it this far. What is he going to do with himself? Lance seems so excited and so sure of himself, and Keith has an awful thought. What about them? What will that mean for their relationship? What if Lance goes off to college, meets new people, drifts away? And who is Keith to stop him?

"The honors ceremony is tonight!" Lance beams. "You're coming right?"

"Of course I'm coming." Keith rolls his eyes and takes Lance's hand in his own as they walk down the busy city street. The weather is warm and spring is finally making its first appearance of the year. It's a Friday afternoon, and the boys decided it was a great day for ice cream. So when the last class ended, they hopped on Keith's motorcycle and went uptown.

Lance pulls Keith into the ice cream shop and continues to babble as they order. "I applied to a couple schools, have you sent in any applications?"

Keith looks away and the employee behind the counter holds out their ice cream, momentarily distracting the conversation. But when they leave and start down the street again, Lance looks at him curiously.

"Have you decided what you want to do?" Lance asks noticing the way Keith is looking anywhere but him.

"Not exactly."

"That's okay, you don't need to have your whole life figured out. Maybe you should send in some applications in the meantime, just in case." Lance smiles warmly. And while Keith knows he's being supportive and trying to help Keith keep his options open, he feels a ping of hurt and anger in his chest. He doesn't want to think about this. He loves Lance, and who cares what life looks like X years from now. He has Lance right now, in the present. And he's going to focus only on the time that matters: time with Lance. Future be damned.

Keith reaches out and takes Lance's free hand in his, single minded and pouty. Lance beams at him in return and plants a kiss on his cheek which immediately melts away Keith's cold exterior. It leaves Keith a wreck because what is he supposed to do if he doesn't have Lance? He likes the person he is when he's with him, if Lance is gone, he'll lose that part of himself too. And he's not ready to part with either one, in fact, he'll never be ready. But what if it's inevitable? Lance's life is different from Keith's—he has a future.

Keith pulls his hand away from Lance and shoves it in his pocket. Lance pretends not to notice the brooding aura that surrounds the boy, and it's for that reason he drops the subject of graduation or anything that follows. His Keith senses are tingling and he can tell something is off. He won't push it for now, he doesn't want to upset the moment. Lance moves in closer to his boyfriend so they're brushing shoulders as they walk and he feels Keith relax.

Lance has learned a dynamic with Keith that works. And he always tries to be extra patient because he knows that Keith has issues he's working through and struggling to sort out. While Keith has never explicitly said anything, Lance has picked up that Keith had a very rough childhood and there is some leftover unresolved effects. Keith has never talked about it or acknowledged it, but one day when he's ready, Lance will be there, ready to listen and support him.