Invasion part 2

His eyes widened and we both smiled at each other. "I'll get you out of here, I promise." He said kissing my hand sweetly.

It had been exactly one week since Keith had made the promise. Lance was beginning to feel the weighing effects of being a prisoner. The food made his stomach twist, the lack of light made his body tired, and the harsh light made it difficult to sleep and a headache ever present.

The door slid open. Lance didn't move, he was laying on the cold metal bed facing the wall. Before, if it were Keith, Lance would perk up and walk to the bars for some kind of interaction with him. Now, he didn't know what to think. He missed his family, he wanted to leave the infuriating confines of his cell. And Keith, no matter what Lance thought for him, cared for him, it was risky. Just speaking to him was putting their lives in danger. Lance wanted to be free, but he feared the consequences if it were to fail.

He heard the rattle of the keys as they worked on the lock. "Lance. It's me." Keith's soft voice bounced off the metal walls making his location unclear.

Lance remained quiet and huddled closer within himself. He flinched when the tips of Keith's fingers brushed his shoulder.

"Lance." Keith repeated. Oh how Lance hated it. He wanted to shut Keith out, to make it easier, to keep them safe. Just hearing Keith say his name made him want to rip him down into his arms.

He turned around looking Keith in his violet and brown eyes. "How's my family?"

"Your mother, father, and a few siblings are in cells like you. I made sure they weren't put to work in the mines. However, the rest of your family is unaccounted for by soldiers. During a search I did find them in a bunker. I reported it clear. They had plenty of food and water for the next two to three months depending on how well they conserve it."

"We have to do something." Lance bit his cheek anxiously.

"I know. The only way is to take down Zarcon, I don't know how to do that and get you out safely. As soon as I blow my cover I'll be swarmed with soldiers all throughout the ship." Keith looked away.

"Take me to the fight." Lance said as if it was obvious.

"Absolutely not." Keith whipped his head back to Lance.

"And why not?" Lance challenged.

"It isn't your fight." Keith fired back.

"As if! He captured and enslaved my planet, I believe that gives me a bone to pick with him." Lance was fuming.

"A bone to pick...?" Keith reiterated confusedly.

"It's an expression." Lance pouted with his arms folded.

Keith ignored the bone picking and went back to the issue at hand. "You know what I mean by it not being your fight. Zarcon is dangerous-"

"So what?!" Lance threw his hands up.

Keith was breathing heavier, "Lance, it's not your fight because I don't want you to get hurt." His eyes looked genuinely stressed with worry and Lance decided not to push any further.

Lance grabbed Keith's hands and rubbed the backs of them with his thumbs not daring to look up into his eyes. Keith didn't respond at first and instead stood there watching Lance, he needed a plan. "Can you stay a while?" Lance spoke quietly.