0.120.0

><><

John didn't like this one bit, but he set the Jumper down about fifty feet up the beach from the Mortii shuttle where Kai indicated. The design of the shuttle was similar to that of the Jumper, a little larger and slightly more elegant looking. He supposed if Beckett's theory's of the Mortii being direct descendants from Ancients was correct, they had had ten thousand years to improve on the design. He glanced towards Kai, but her face was unreadable. He wanted to reach out to her and ask her how she was feeling about this, he wanted her to know he was with her, but her tight expression and closed body language convinced him that wouldn't be welcome. Without meaning to, it sent a pulse down the slim line of their bond and Kai's whole body stiffened.

John cleared his throat and climbed to his feet. He put a lock on the controls of the Jumper, knowing the Mortii outside would have the gene and possibly the knowledge needed to fly it. He wasn't sure what to expect, but if things went south he wasn't willing to make them easier on them.

The three of them descended the ramp together. At Kai's urging, Elizabeth was on the lead and John and Kai flanked her. Kai felt it would present Elizabeth as a more powerful leader since she didn't outwardly appear to be a warrior. It was better to not leave anything to chance and have one of the Mortii decide to try her because she looked weaker than either The Colonel or Kai.

Kai had the Bond closed down about as tightly as she could manage, but John still knew she was nervous. Outwardly, she looked like a complete and utter badass. She had adjusted the scarf so it was wrapped around her head and covered much of her face, as she usually did when they went into a combat situation. She had her gun belt hanging low on one of her hips, and her Blade's handles were just visible where they crisscrossed at the small of her back.

The Mortii were male and female, dressed entirely in black, with their faces covered. They stood at the base of their own ramp, waiting with their hands clasped in front of them. Trying, John was guessing, to look non-threatening. He had seen a Mortii try to look threatening, but never the opposite. It wasn't entirely effective. Regardless of how they held themselves they were imposing nonetheless. Both of them were over six feet tall and had fighter's builds. Kai was tiny compared to them. He remembered Kai saying that she was considered small among her people, but he had assumed the tall Xerxe woman she had fought had just been tall. Now he saw that most of them must be the size of Ronon. He glanced towards Kai, wondering not for the first time, how she had managed to not only survive their vicious training, but excel.

Elizabeth stopped ten feet from them, her chin lifted as she met their gazes. "You wished to meet," she said, dispensing with any diplomatic formality she normally would have used. None of her careful training had prepared her for this type of meeting. Kai had briefed her that pleasantries would be viewed as either weakness or ineptitude.

The male Mortii looked over the three of them carefully. Their gaze ended on Kai however and they didn't look away. John shifted his weight, not liking the attention they was placing on her. It made him feel like she was a target. If things went south they would aim to take her out first.

"We have come to retrieve what is ours," The female Mortii said carefully. Despite speaking english clearly, there was an odd cadence to their voice.

"Nothing here belongs to you," Sheppard said, unable to help himself. There was a tightness in his chest. He wouldn't lose Kai to these people. Not like this. She was his and he would fight for her if necessary, politics be damned.

The male tipped their head to the side and met Sheppard's gaze. "Two of our Instruments seem to have come to this place and not returned. It would seem prudent to see what it is that lured them here."