0.93.0

Hello everyone! I'm back! I know it has been FOREVER since I updated. I really struggled with this particular update and deciding where and how I wanted Kai to be involved in Sateda. I hope you enjoy the update. 

><><

Elizabeth sat at her desk, her hands folded in front of her. Sheppard recognized it as the stance she took when she was dealing with tough negotiations. "So you have made up your mind," Elizabeth began, not bothering to wait for Sheppard to say the words. She could see it in John's face. Not that she had been holding out much hope. While she wasn't as familiar with them as a couple as many others, she had seen the determination in John's eyes when he spoke of his feeling for Kai. She supposed she should be grateful that he had chosen to be so honest and open about it. Although the truth was, politically it may have been better for him to have kept it a secret. Part of her wondered if she should advise them to consider that approach.

"Yes," John agreed. "We have."

Elizabeth's eyes cut to Kai where she stood a step behind John. She didn't feel like it was a good representation of their relationship. While Kai was standing back and letting John handle this conversation she was not going to stand back and let him lead in their relationship. Elizabeth knew Kai far too well to think she would do that. Perhaps if there was that kind of discrepancy in power in their relationship she wouldn't be as worried, but Kai was anything but submissive.

Elizabeth sighed and rubbed her forehead with her fingers as a headache began. The IOA was going to have a field day with this. They hadn't wanted Sheppard in his position in the first place but she had insisted. Using her popularity with the president to bolster her position and then she refused to lead unless they gave her John as her military commander. They could use this to replace him, but she didn't know how to make him understand the precariousness of their position, and he was throwing it all away because a pretty face had turned his head. She tightened her hands into fists but didn't say all she was thinking.

"I think it's my job to remind you of the policy-" Elizabeth began

"And I think it's my job to remind you I am not in violation of that policy," John snapped again. He hadn't anticipated Elizabeth letting this go but he really didn't want to rehash all of it in front of Kai. John would be able to move beyond the things Elizabeth had said about Kai, but he wasn't sure that Kai would ever forgive Elizabeth. Kai wasn't the type to forgive and forget. He glanced over his shoulder and met Kai's gaze. Her storm grey eyes were troubled but she stood tall and proud, her hands clasped behind her back in her people's version of being at attention.

"I think it's inappropriate-" Elizabeth started to continue but John was already shaking his head.

"Your personal feelings aren't important here. What matters is that we are not violating any rules that the IOA or the military could throw in my face. And to be perfectly frank, I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus but McKay and Dr. Brown have been dating on and off for the last year and Beckett and Cadman were seeing each other for several months last year. I don't remember you making as big of a deal of that."

"That's not the same thing," Elizabeth snapped.

Kai's jaw ached from keeping her mouth clamped shut. "Why is that?" Kai challenged from behind John, unable to keep silent any longer.

Elizabeth's eyes flickered to Kai and then back to John. "You know why," she said tightly.

"I would like you to say it," Kai said taking a powerful step up next to John. She and Elizabeth had never been close, but she hadn't ever felt like Elizabeth wished she wasn't there. She had always thought Elizabeth appreciated and respected her for her skills and the things she brought to the expedition. It was painfully clear that only extended so far. Kai hated feeling like a fool, but that was clearly what had happened.