0.85.0

Hello All! I hope you are doing well! Things in Minnesota have been pretty intense the last few days. I hope everyone is safe and well.

Happy Reading!

><><
Misbegotten
><><

Kai woke a few hours later. Her muscles had tensed up from sleeping sitting up. She grunted and shifted trying to alleviate some of the discomfort, but she was too content leaning against John's chest to want to move. These quiet moments had been rare over the last couple weeks. If she was honest, it was primarily her fault. She had blamed John, and the female scientist for the distance between them, but it had been her own insecurities holding her back. Even now it was hard to trust. It wasn't that she didn't trust John, but she was a realist. With the Bond between them it was hard to resist the feelings it stirred, but Kai was hesitant to blindly follow those feelings. They both lived in the real world and their positions made things complicated.

She wasn't sure how much time had passed, but as she strained her senses she could tell everyone in the next hallway was still resting. It had been risky going off by themselves and could possibly raise a few questions. But only Ronon had seen them, and she was confident Ronon wouldn't think anything of it.

John's arm tightened around her for a moment before she felt him wake. He pinched his eyes closed tightly and held her against him. "Tell me the whole wraith alliance, broken Daedalus, Wraith ship thing was a bad dream," he murmured against her hair. "And when I open my eyes we're going to be back on Atlantis."

"I feel like if we were, we would be somewhere more comfortable. I doubt we would be sleeping on the floor in a hallway."

John chuckled and his eyes opened so he could look down at Kai who was staring up into his face impishly. "Why Kai what are you suggesting?" John teased gently.

Kai's eyes widened as she woke more fully and realized her implication. A blush climbed her neck and warmed her cheeks.

"Did you sleep?" He asked. His other hand came up and touched her face. He loved it when she blushed but now that he was looking closer he could see the bags under her eyes looked like bruises against her pale skin.

"Enough," she said, though she yawned again.

"Right..." John drug off his tone laced with his disbelief. John glanced down at his watch. "You could catch a few more hours..."

Kai reached down and turned his wrist so she could see the watch face then groaned. "No, I better get back to work." She climbed to her feet with a groan and offered him a hand up. John stood and stretched.

The two of them moved back down the hall towards the bridge. John hesitated, conscious of the fact that it might look suspicious for them both to return at the same moment. Or maybe he was just feeling guilty. He knew better than to take such a sloppy risk when Caldwell was here. He needed to have a conversation with Elizabeth before Caldwell reported him.

"I'm going to go check on Lorne," John said motioning over his shoulder.

Kai nodded and continued to the bridge. The Hive had been severely damaged during the fight. While they had managed to make the necessary repairs to fly back to Atlantis, many of the systems were badly damaged and with almost twenty-four hours left before they arrived home, Kai decided to get to work.

><><

The crew of the Daedalus and the expedition members from Atlantis were all running on empty. They had run out of food and water twelve hours before, and most hadn't slept beyond a couple hours' combat nap in the last forty-eight.