0.74.0

Hello friends! It's been a little while since I updated, but I really wanted to focus on finishing another of my stories. It's all finished now. If you enjoy Supernatural check out my story Lies We Tell, I would love to hear what you think of it.

Back to Kai and John!

Happy Reading!

><><

John spent the rest of his day being irritable. His team figured it out pretty fast and since they weren't going off world they all steered clear of him. He ended up spending the day training some of the new recruits, running them through drills even Ronon would have considered extreme.

"All right, again!" He called and there was a collective groan. His comm activated in his ear. "Colonel Sheppard when you have a moment I would like to meet in my office."

"On my way," he responded. John blew out a frustrated sigh. "All right boys, that's it," he called and the relief in the room was palpable as he stalked towards the doors. He glanced back over his shoulder and they all quickly straightened. He snorted and shook his head as he left the gym.

Elizabeth was sitting behind her desk waiting for him. It wasn't a good sign. It meant whatever she had to discuss was serious. John closed the door behind him and took the seat across from her.

"What can I do for you?" He asked.

Elizabeth studied John's face carefully, trying to gauge his mood. When she had a meeting with Major Lorne earlier to discuss his next mission he had mentioned his concern that Sheppard was pushing the new recruits a little hard. It was unlike Sheppard to be emotional. One of the things she admired most about him was his ability to remain unflappable.

"Major Lorne and I had a conversation today," Elizabeth said, deciding to face the topic head on.

"Anything interesting?" John asked, because he knew that was what he was supposed to do.

"He mentioned that he thought you might be pushing the new recruits harder than usual today."

"Well the Pegasus galaxy is a rough place," John said a little sharper than he meant to. He didn't like the idea of his second in command going around him to tattle to Weir. It wasn't like Lorne. He was normally a straight shooter.

"Anything on your mind lately?" Elizabeth pushed. "Something we should talk about perhaps?"

John shook his head. "Can't think of anything."

"How about what I walked into this morning?" Elizabeth said a little sharply.

John arched his brows. "You didn't walk into anything."

"So a senior member of my staff and our most gifted mechanic yelling at one another in the hallway is nothing?" She asked.

John narrowed his eyes. "We weren't yelling." He growled defensively. He had seen Elizabeth in enough negotiations to know when she was trying to manipulate the situation to go her way and he wasn't going to play the game. "Let's skip the song and dance. Why don't you just ask me what you want to ask me?" John snapped.

Elizabeth arched her eyebrows but obliged. "Did something unprofessional occur between you and Kai last night?"

"No," he responded simply. Elizabeth paused for a beat and he could see her trying to decide if she was going to keep pushing or accept what he said. Either way she didn't look like she believed him.

John kept his face totally neutral. Had she asked the question in a different way she may have gotten the answer she was searching for, he had no intention of lying about it, but he also wasn't going to offer up anything he didn't need to.