0.126.0

Happy Reading!

><><
Irresistible Cont.
><><

"I hate this plan," Kai grumbled as she crept into position on the edge of the town square.

"Noted," John agreed. "But it's the best we've got," he reminded her. Time was running out for the team, and they couldn't risk testing Kolya's patience. Kolya was smart and hadn't allowed them a single moment extra to plan anything. Kai and Sheppard were both great tacticians, but the only timing they had was on the walk from the gate. 

"Colonel Sheppard," Kolya's voice came over the radio sounding annoyed, but they were close enough now Kai could hear him without the radio.

"He's losing patience," Kai said. She peaked over the top of the crate and could see the other members of the team all standing together with Kolya's gun pointed at them. "If this works, they should be out of the line of fire," Kai reported grimly.

"Should be?" John asked.

Kai shrugged. "There's no guarantee, someone could easily turn towards them and fire. If they aren't too preoccupied with shooting you," Kai clipped out the words angrily. The plan was unnecessarily risky and she hadn't hidden her distaste of it.

John just grunted. Kolya wouldn't wait much longer. "He wants me dead too much for that."

Kai's jaw was tight. Having a whole squad shooting at John rather than their friends didn't make her feel better. "We don't know how much charge that has left," Kai said, motioning towards John's chest.

John glanced down at the glowing green shield. "I'm just going to have to hope it has one more good rescue in it."

"And if it doesn't?" Kai challenged.

"Then I guess you're gonna have to come rescue me again," John quipped but there was a tightness around his eyes that belied his light tone.

"I didn't rescue you last time and Kolya doesn't want to capture you. He wants you dead this time," she snapped.

John nodded his agreement. "Well I'll just have to kill him first. Here goes nothing," John said and he winked at her before he stepped out from behind cover. "KOLYA!" John called loudly as he stepped into the town square.

Kolya turned to face him. His eyes narrowed as he took in Sheppard's appearance. When he realized The Colonel was unarmed a slow, pleased smile stretched across his face. 

The sight of John unprotected standing in front of their enemy made Kai's stomach dropped. She tightened down her body as she fought the instinct to step out and eliminate Kolya. She would take damage, yes, but it would be done. 

"I should have killed you when we first met Colonel," Kolya said. "It would have saved me a lot of trouble." He gestured to his men and the entire squad turned their weapons to Sheppard. 

"The feelings mutual," John assured him, but he didn't appear concerned. 

"Goodbye Sheppard," Kolya said, and he dropped his hand and the Genii opened fire.

The noise from the gunfire was deafening, but the bullets all bounced off the shield as it buzzed and shimmered with green energy. Finally, the fire ceased and the Genii were looking around in confusion and concern. Colonel Sheppard's reputation proceeded him and the younger men looked ready to flee. 

"Well," John drawled with a lazy smile. "Now that you've got that out of your system," he said unzipping his vest to reveal the shield on his chest. Kolya's eyes narrowed and his jaw tightened in annoyance. The shield suddenly pulsed and faded. "Oh crap," John muttered as it gave a final sputter before dying.