0.35.0

So there was such an awesome response to the last chapter with number of votes/reads in such a short period of time I got super excited and rushed this one out.

Happy Reading!

><><
The Siege Pt. 2
><><

Kai was among the first to start the evacuation process. With a lack of pilots, she personally ferried each of the jumpers through the gate to their new site. She would park one in the large field they had designated for them, cloak it and then return through the gate on foot for the next. The process took her all day. They had ten jumpers that were able to fly. Ten she could save. She hated that there were at least that many she was forced to leave behind. She salvaged all the spare parts she could find and loaded the last one with all the repair supplies she could fit. Once it was parked with the others she began the walk back to the Alpha site camp.

She glanced around and then looked down at her watch frowning. The last evacuation group with The Major, Weir, McKay, Zelenka and the others was late. She spotted Stackhouse on the far side of the camp and began making her way over to him.

"Sergeant," she greeted.

He nodded. "Zian."

Over the last few months she had earned the respect of most of the men on the base, but it was still unfamiliar to her and approaching one of them as equals was uncomfortable.

"Any word from Atlantis?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest as they watched everyone work to get settled in their tents.

Stackhouse shook his head. "They're half an hour overdue," he said grimly.

Kai nodded, but she could see the stress on the man's face. Stackhouse was a good man. But in the absence of the other senior members of staff he was in charge, and she could tell the stress was wearing on him.

The gate activated and Kai exhaled in relief as the Major walked through. He looked up and when he spotted them he strode quickly across the field towards them. Kai frowned when no one else came through and the gate deactivated behind him.

"Major," Stackhouse greeted saluting.

"Change of plans," John said briskly. "We received a dial-in from earth. Stargate command got our message and sent reinforcements."

"Reinforcements sir?" Stackhouse asked in confusion. They all knew the fight was hopeless. It didn't matter how many men they had, they were technologically outgunned.

Sheppard nodded once briskly. "They also sent a new commanding officer, Colonel Everett."

Stackhouse frowned, but he was a soldier who knew it wasn't his place to ask questions.

"He has assumed command of Atlantis and is recalling all military personnel and any civilians willing to aid with clean up and support."

Stackhouse nodded.

"I'm leaving it in your hands to get the troops back," John continued. Then he turned to Kai. Stackhouse was on his radio communicating with his team, but John didn't want to be overheard. He didn't want to be seen undermining the new commander so soon after his arrival. He took her arm in his hand and gently led her away from the soldier.

Kai frowned up at him. Kai was studying the Major's face and the set of his shoulders. Something had happened. She hadn't seen him like this before.

"If you don't want to come back to Atlantis-" he began.

Kai frowned. "Why wouldn't I come back?"

John pressed his lips together in a grim line. "This guy," he started. "Weir and I aren't in charge anymore. I can't-" he started to say and then he stopped himself. His eyes were troubled.