0.11.0

><><
Underground Cont.
><><

Sheppard set the jumper down in the middle of an open field. The only structure in sight was a dilapidated barn. Kai had the HUD activated and had been running scans since they came through the star gate.

"I'm picking up low level radiation," she reported.

"Yeah," John agreed flippantly. "That would be the atomic bombs being built beneath our feet."

Kai looked beyond the HUD to see  Teyla and two people in uniform step out of the barn into the sun. They weren't pointing weapons at her but there was authority in their stance and Teyla was unarmed.

"They took your weapons?" Kai asked as the Major decloaked the Jumper.

She was trying to get a sense of what they were walking into. The Major tended to be pretty straight forward and wasn't prone to exaggeration. These people seemed to flip flop back and forth between wanting to be allies and holding them hostage. So there really was no telling what they were walking into.

The people stumbled back, shock on their faces as the shuttle appeared out of thin air before their eyes.

"They had been returned to us when we left," Ford said from behind them. The young lieutenant sounded uneasy as he leaned forward to peer out the windshield.

"What does that mean Major?" Kai asked, allowing her voice to rise slightly with perceived nerves. She knew what it meant, but Kai the mechanic wouldn't. Kai the mechanic would be looking to the Major for answers she already knew. The Major had been suspicious of her before, and she couldn't afford for him to have any doubts especially in front of the Genii.

Their status among these people was varied at best. Teyla waved at the jumper but Kai could read the tension in the other woman's body language. They needed to be careful on this one. It was likely to turn bad at literally any moment.

The major opened the rear hatch and the three of them walked out to meet the group.

Teyla stepped up to make the introductions. "Kai Zian allow me to introduce you to Tyrus and his daughter Sora. They are the ones who recovered some of the data from the Wraith drive."

Kai forced herself to smile and extended her hand. "It's an honor," she said bowing her head respectfully. "I look forward to working with on you."

Sora sniffed. "You're wasting our  time," she growled. "There's nothing more to find, if there was, we would have found it."

She turned on her heel and marched back towards the barn.

Tyrus stepped up to Kai and shook her hand. He smiled indulgently. "Thank you for coming," he said, although he didn't look any happier to see Kai than his daughter was. "This way," he said and he guided the group into the barn.

Kai was curious that so few would be there to meet them, leaving their group with greater numbers. Teyla and Ford were the first down the ladder, followed by Kai and the Major coming last.

As soon as she turned their group was greeted with a dozen Genii soldiers. Kai stiffened at the sight of all the soldiers, the tension rising in her limbs instinctually in case she needed to defend herself. None of them were pointing their weapons, but over half were holding three barreled shotguns.

The Major noticed, and he stepped past her quickly to put himself between her and the others. As he moved around her he brushed his shoulder against hers deliberately. Kai flinched at the contact and looked up at the Major as he slid past her in the small space. His eyes flickered down to hers and though his jaw was tight he dipped it once to let her know it was okay.