0.41.0

Okay, this ended up longer than anticipated and has lots and lots of Kai/John. I hope you enjoy the update!

Please vote/comment!

Happy Reading!

><><

It was nearly midnight when Kai and John stumbled back towards the gate. The barkeep had been true to his word. Ford had come and gotten an address for a Wraith planet. The barkeep had provided the address, poured them each another drink and warned them that the planet had a large Wraith settlement on it. Kai didn't thank the man, but she told him they were square. Kai had wanted to leave immediately, but John talked her into staying and finishing their drinks.

Rationally he knew it was too late at night and they should head back to Atlantis, get some sleep, and go through the proper channels in the morning. But the scrap of paper was burning a hole in his pocket. They were so close to finding Ford he could taste it.

Whatever was in that drink hadn't been alcohol, John hadn't experienced this kind of euphoria since he had his wisdom teeth out and been given morphine. Everything seemed so simple. It made his limbs feel light and loose. Like he could do anything. Control was such a hallmark of his personality that to feel so light and free was exhilarating. There was literally no one else in this solar system he had to worry about. Right now it was just him and Kai.

He turned to Kai a challenging smirk stretching his face. "So what do you think?" He asked waving the piece of paper towards her.

Kai looked up at the Colonel and the moonlight from the twin moons reflected in his eyes making the angles of his handsome face stand out. She licked her lips to reply and his eyes followed the movement.

The intensity rose for a moment between them and his mouth opened for a second like he was going to say something profound. Then he seemed to jolt himself out of it. A boy-ish grin lighting his face. "Come on Kai!" He chastised in a sing-song voice. He took her wrists in his and swung her around playfully.

"Weir said not to get into any trouble," Kai replied studiously, she was fighting to maintain control her her body but she was failing. She could feel the drink working it's way through her. She should have passed, it had been a long time since she had a glass of Euphor. And neither of them had needed the second.

John snorted, and flashed her a boyishly charming smile that normally didn't work on her. But tonight under the twin moons it made her stomach flip flop.

"It's not like you and I couldn't handle it," he said swinging her around again.

Kai let out an uncharacteristic giggle. She had never seen this side of the Colonel before. Despite his sense of humor he was always so serious and in control underneath. The burden of command was something he took very seriously. To see him truly having fun was worth the headache she knew she would have in the morning. But the morning was so far off. It didn't matter as much as she had thought it should.

All that mattered was being in the moment now. She tipped her head back and let him spin her playfully around under the stars. She laughed again because she didn't know when the last time was she had laughed. She stumbled over her feet and expected to fall. But John caught her, pulling her into his arms. She gripped his forearms to steady herself, but his hands were strong and warm against her low back. The carefree joy on his face was infectious and Kai stared up into his eyes. She wanted to freeze this moment in time and bask in the glow.

A single strand of hair slipped free from her scarf and John reached up with gentle fingers and tucked it behind her ear. "I'm not sure there's anything we can't handle," he confided to her seriously.