0.124.0

Hello my friends! Here we are with another update. I have to say I'm ready for John and Kai to work out their differences. I was a little hesitant to write this episode but Lucius is one of those characters you love to hate!

Happy Reading!

><><
Irresponsible
><><

"So they didn't say why they needed Doctor Beckett?" Kai clarified with a confused frown. She had just been called off of a project by Doctor Weir, inquiring if she was available to accompany Doctor Beckett off planet to meet up with AR-1. AR-1 had reached out to Atlantis asking them to send Beckett to meet them off world. It sounded like it was not a potentially dangerous situation, therefore an escort was more appropriate than an entire team, and Kai happened to be one of the few available on such short notice.

"Colonel Sheppard did not," Elizabeth confirmed with a weary sigh. "He only said that there was not a medical or military emergency and he wanted Beckett to come through with a portable lab that had the ability to run a blood test."

"A blood test?" Kai asked with a frown. She couldn't imagine the situation that would warrant this kind of request. She zipped up her TAC vest as she and Elizabeth walked into the gate room. She had her Blades strapped to her low back and a handgun on her hip. She hadn't bothered with a P-90 or anything else for weapons. It sounded like a simple enough job. She had her scarf wrapped around her head as she usually did in a potential combat situation, but the end of it was loose over her shoulder so it didn't cover her face. If this was supposed to be a friendly visit she didn't think showing up with her face covered in full TAC gear sent the right message.

"Thank you again for being willing to escort him. John made it clear there was unlikely to be any danger but the Stargate is a bit of a walk from the village. I think we would all feel better knowing Carson had back up, just in case," Elizabeth added with a tense smile. She would never admit it was she that would feel better sending Carson with backup. Doctor Beckett didn't often go off world, and she didn't like the idea that something could happen to him.

Kai nodded again absently. The project she had been working on wasn't time sensitive and it had been a while since she went off world. She could see the tension in Elizabeth as she spoke and Kai wondered if it was because she knew something she wasn't sharing, or if it was simply because of her feelings for Doctor Beckett. Elizabeth had never admitted to giving special treatment to Carson, but this was dangerously close to it.

They came around the corner to find Beckett waiting with two cases sitting at his feet. Kai stepped forward and scooped one up, leaving her right hand free in case they ran into trouble when they came through the gate. A bodyguard wasn't much good if their hands were full.

"All right," Elizabeth said, rubbing her hands down her thighs. "Um, be safe and good luck," she said and she patted Kai's shoulder awkwardly.

"Right, you as well," Carson agreed nervously.

Kai glanced back and forth between them, but didn't bother saying anything. They had been dancing around one another for weeks now and it wasn't her place to draw attention to it. She nodded to Elizabeth and strode towards the event horizon.

Kai and Beckett stepped through the gate and came out into a beautifully landscaped garden around the Stargate. There were carefully cultivated shrubs and flowers making the entire clearing look like a well maintained park. It spoke a lot about these people's wealth and security that they had time to maintain their Stargate in such a way. It also seemed like a way to highlight to the Wraith that there was prosperous settlement nearby. Or any potential enemy really.