46 The Pooja

Part 46 The Pooja

The next day

Queen Medha was arranging the Pooja so grandly. Why not, after all, it was for Prince Aparajith's better future. Padmakshi and her friend Arunima were also with her. Queen Medha ordered her to be with her entire pooja. Being a Princess, Medha wanted Padmakshi to know the Royal customs thoroughly.

There were various jewels, gold and silver coins, new clothes, flowers, garlands, vermillion, turmeric, fruits and sweets, and a few more auspicious things kept before Devi Maiya Idol. Loads of grains were ready to donate. Pandits were chanting hymns pouring ghee in the holy fire.

Medha went to Devi Maiya's idol. Closing her eyes, she prayed for her son's happy life. Opening her eyes, she removed a particular chain from DM's neck solemnly. Medha also was wearing the same design chain on her neck. She kept it on a plate, displaying it. Padmakshi frowned seeing that. She didn't know why Medha removed the chain from DM's neck. She had been seeing the chain on DM's idol from her childhood. That was the first time, she saw the chain being removed.

"Why did you remove it from the Devi Madha idol, Mother? Is there any reason?" She asked.

"This is our custom... I wore this chain to Devi Matha's neck when Prince Aparajith was born. Now, Aparajith will wear this chain to Khushi's neck on his wedding day. This is what the Pooja is about"

"Oh..."

"Yes, if Khushi gives birth to a SON, she will wear the next chain to Devi Matha's neck..."

"Oh... then her son will wear the chain to his wife on their wedding day, right?" Padmakshi caught the point.

"Exactly"

"What if it is a girl baby?" Arunima asked the question like a good student.

"She doesn't have to wear the chain to Devi Matha..."

"What if she gives birth to twin boys?" Padmakshi asked.

The Queen chuckled.

"She has to wear two chains to Devi Matha... simple..."

"Oh... if our kingdom gets its heir, the mother of the prince will wear the chain to DM and the chain will be used at his wedding. Right?"

"Yes..."

"This is interesting... so, this Pooja is for removing the chain from Devi Madha idol..."

"Yes... it's because this is not just a chain but a Mangal sutra"

"Oh... I see, that's how the King also wore it in your neck?" Padmakshi asked pointing at the chain on the Queen's neck.

"Yes..." she smiled.

"That's nice but why didn't you tell us this story before?" Padmakshi asked.

"I wanted to tell you that when you are of marriageable age but I didn't get a chance and you didn't question me about it ever before."

"What about brother? Does he know about it?"

"I wanted to tell him about it but he didn't stay at the Palace because of Chandrika... So, he too unaware of this chain"

That was when the king came for the pooja.

"Is everything ready?"

"Yeah... in a few minutes, the Yaga will be completed. Then we will start the Pooja,"

"Where is my daughter-in-law?" The King asked.

"What's the matter, Mother? The king is inquiring about his daughter-in-law instead of his son?" Padmakshi asked.