35🌸.

Song - Someone you loved by Lewis Capaldi .

Now the day bleeds
Into nightfall
And you're not here
To get me through it all
I let my guard down
And then you pulled the rug
I was getting kinda used to being someone you loved...

~~

We followed Dr Anderson into a room and she told me to lie down on the bed beside a machine and a something that looked like a computer screen . Tess sat down on a chair beside the bed as Dr Anderson then wore her gloves and squirted a gel like liquid on her palms .

" Okay, this is going to feel a little bit cold on your skin." She warned before rubbing it on my belly . I shivered when it touched my skin.

This is it . You're finally doing it .

For some reason , I began to feel hot . Really hot .

Am I even ready for this ? Why did I agree to do the scan ?

I should have just waited till my bump grew and given birth . I really didn't care whatever would come out whether boy or girl . If I could jump down from the bed and run out of the room . I would but I looked and Tess and I think she sensed my anxiety. She held my hand and mouthed " You're gonna be okay." and that made me feel a lot better .

The doctor pressed a probe on the skin on my belly and I literarily froze as she began to move it around my belly and searched the screen at the same time.

" You'll be hearing your babies heart beat any time soon ." Dr Anderson informed me although it felt more like a heads up to me .

I'm so not ready for this .

"Any time now ." She looked at me with a smile as she moved the probe around my belly .

Get ready Emma.

I saw Tess looking at me with an eager smile . Seems like she was more excited than I was . Dr Anderson kept on moving the probe around my belly but still there was nothing. She frowned as she searched the screen. My heart began to thump faster and suddenly I felt fear. This fear was much more than the fear of knowing the baby's gender . I was scared that something might have happened to the baby and maybe that why it wasn't showing on the screen.

" Uh...is everything alright?" I asked the doctor.

She looked skeptical . " Nothing much . It's just that I haven't been able to find the baby ." She gave a hopeful smile . " But don't worry. I'm sure I will in a few seconds."

Did I say I was scared ? I meant terrified. For the first time I shut my eyes and found myself prayed to God that nothing would happen to my baby. I'm not an overly religious person but I do believe in God and miracles.

I felt Tess squeeze my hand. " Everything is going to be fine , Emma."

I hope so. I don't want anything to haven to my baby.

There was a long silence before...

" There." Dr Anderson said . A loud beating sound filled the silence of the room . I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding in and tear escaped from my eye.

Thank you, God.

The feeling that I had another life growing in me suddenly became very apparent and it felt surreal. There was a baby's heart literarily beating inside of me .

" Are you ready to see your little one ?" She asked .

" I guess." I answered tentatively.

" Okay , take a look at the screen ." She said motioning to the screen .