The Office

So I wrote this to be in the same like univers as "The Box" (last chapter) but its vague enough to be a stand alone so 🤷‍♀️. I think I'll probably do a third one with the dinner, but maybe not I'm not sure yet. I had an idea for a separate one where their moms find out, so I might do that instead.

"So Mako, are you ready for dinner? I'm so excited to see everyone again!" Bolin cheered. Mako grinned, loading their stuff into the back of the satomobile.

"Sure am, just have to stop at the precinct first, I left a file on my desk." Bolin sighed, hopping into the passenger seat.

"Its always business with you, brother. Pabu!" The fire ferret climbed into Bolin's sweater and Mako chuckled.  The drive to the precinct was short, and Bolin had insisted on coming in to "inspect" his brothers workspace. The office was dark, save for a few of the night crew and janitors and Mako made his way to his desk.

"Where is it?" He asked himself.

"Hey Mako?" Bolin asked from near the Chief's office.

"Yes Bolin?" He replied, not fully paying attention.

"Isn't the Chief coming to dinner?"

"Yeah I think so. I don't know maybe she decided its not her thing."

"Hmm, well maybe she took it off your desk."

"Bolin, please help me look. Beifong went home hours ago."

"Are you sure?" Bolin asked, pointing to the door.

"Yes I'm sure."

"Okay well I'm pretty sure she's in there." Mako sighed, making his way to the door and standing next to his brother.

"Well," he said reluctantly," the light is on." He tilted his head looking at the light under the door. He lifted his knuckle to knock just as the door was pulled open.

"Oh, Mako, right?" A tall watertribe woman asked.

"Um yeah," he replied. She smiled and Mako remembered who she was. He hadn't seen her in almost four years.

"Kya," she said shaking his hand.

"Right, Harmonic Convergence."

"The one and only," he sidestepped allowing her to pass. Lin was sitting at her desk, her armor sitting in the corner of the room, which was odd, but she had glasses on, reading a file.

"I got you're file," she said from the desk, "no thanks to you."

"Sorry Chief, I came back to put it in the Dropbox." Lin smirked, did Mako see that right? Was she smiling? He looked again to Kya, who waited outside the door with them.

"Lin, come on." Kya said and Lin stood up.

"Alright, alright." The chief said, taking a coat off the hanger and putting it on. Bolin tapped Mako on the shoulder, pointing to either woman. Mako just glared at him, not sure what his brother was suggesting.

"We'll see you too in a bit," Kya grinned, waving a small farewell.

"Dont be late!" Lin hollered at them. The two boys watched as the woman linked arms, making their way to the elevator.

"Mako." Bolin whispered. "Mako." Mako turned slowly to his brother the realization hitting him.

"Mako Chief's got a date." Bolin said, looking around like he expected her to throw a Boulder at him.

"No I- it can't be."

"Mako did you see the way they linked arms?"

"I saw it, Bolin." Bolin placed his hand on his brothers shoulder.

"This means Beifong's got a date before you." Mako glared at him and Bolin raised his hands in the air as a sign of peace. Without thinking, Mako pushed open the door to her office, looking on the shelves for a clue. He came across a sticky note on her calendar reading:

Date night

Repeated on every Monday.

"Mako, are you sure this is a good idea?" Bolin asked, watching the door.

"I need to know."

"I think we-" Mako shot daggers at him and Bolin silenced, turning back to the door. He went to a chest on the left wall of the office, it was locked and he sighed.

"Not enough evidence to be sure but-"

"What are you two doing?" Mako froze, turning slowly to see Lin standing with her arms crossed in the doorway.

"Bolin!" He scolded.

"I'm sorry! I saw her but I didn't know what to say." Mako facepalmed, wishing he was an earthbender if only to hit his brother with a nice flat rock. Lin pushed Bolin into the office, closing the door behind her. She didn't say anything, just staring at them with a raised eyebrow.

"Chief, I can explain." Mako started.

"Then explain." He was caught off guard, usually she yelled at him when he said that.

"Okay well, we uh, saw you and Kya and Bolin said- so I had to..." he trailed off, ducking his head. It was silent for a moment before Lin snorted with laughter.

"Your laughing? Mako she's laughing!" Bolin said, laughing nervously himself.

"Have to admit, I'd thought it'd be Bolin digging around."

"What?" Mako asked, turning to face her.

"Definitely thought he was the nosiest of you lot, but I was wrong. Again. I'm too old for this."

"Chief whats-"

"Kya said I should just let you two look all night for nothing, but I thought you'd miss out on the free food." The brothers looked at each other with confusion.
"Kya's my fiancè, bozos. Now get out of here, or all of us are going to be late for dinner."

"Um, right Chief." Mako said, darting.out of the office, Bolin close behind. They took the elevator, in hindsight they should've waited for Beifong, but Mako needed to remove himself from the situation to think.

"Hey Mako," Bolin said sheepishly, "Did she say fiance?"

___________________________________________

"Well?"

"You should've seen their faces. Thought Mako was red when Korra kissed Asami last week but this, I think I broke a new record." Kya laughed as Lin got back into the satomobile.

"And Bolin?"

"He's probably processed it by now." Lya put a hand on Lin's arm, laughing.

"They're going to stare at us all night, you know." Kya said.

"Yeah well, I'll shoot him a look and Mako will spend the rest of the night looking at Pema's houseplants."

"Sounds like someone else I know." Kya insinuated and Lin rolled her eyes.

"That was a long time ago. And you weren't glaring at me."

"Right, I was doing something else." Lin blushed, and Kya rested her head on her fiancès shoulder as they drove to the pier.

"So, we telling everyone else tonight?" Kya asked.

"Do we have to?"

"Well if we're getting married I think its time." Lin sighed, kissing Kya on the forhead.

"Alright, but not until after dessert, I want to be able to actually enjoy their meal. And I'm not taking questions."

"Spoken like a true Beifong." Lin side eyed her and Kya kissed her on the cheek, excitement bubbling in her stomach.