Origins: Part 1

It's series time! I got an ask about a cannon-compliant Kyalin from the beginning. I think they're like 29/30 ish??? Somewhere around there. We ain't even gonna talk about Pema's age because we already know what's up so yeah. Enjoy everyone

   It was dinner time. Lin had never been one to consistently eat at the same time everyday. Growing up she ate when she was hungry. Or when her mom remembered to get groceries for the week. But now she had someone to remind her, someone to sit down with and discuss the day with. Occasionally he cooked for her, which was nice. Today it was rice bowls, vegetarian for her fiance.

"How's my girl?" He asked, embracing her. She smiled, placing the rice and vegetables into the bowls.

"Good, another quiet day around here." She said. In all honesty, her day hadn't been good. She'd overslept and was late to work, causing a scene with her boss. She was on desk duty for two days. So it wasn't an entire lie, it had been quiet.

"Glad to hear it." He replied, taking a seat at their small round table. Their apartment was small, but it was nice. When Tenzin had asked Lin to move in she refused to go to the air temple.

"How am I supposed to feel knowing your mother and father are two floors above me?"

"Comfortable!! They're nice people, Lin."

"I know, it's me."

"Well what do you propose?"

She remembered cringing at the word at the time. Propose. It seemed so official. So lawful and binding.

"Lets get a place in the city. Just the two of us. A home for ourselves, so we can grow in."

"I always imagined raising my kids here, Lin."

Kids. The subject that never ended. Secretly, she was tired of Katara and her mother asking her if she was pregnant yet. She was tired of telling them no and seeing the disappointment on their faces. Well, on Katara's face, Toph's always looked like that.

"We have plenty of time Tenzin, things can change. I just want to try it with the two of us. Just for a little bit."  He sighed, hugging her again.

He was a big hugger. She didn't mind, usually, but it got annoying. Especially in public, or when their parents were around.

"Lets do it." He replied. "I'll pick up a flyer tomorrow."

She didn't remember much else of that night. They talked for hours about the best locations and views, budget. It ended with sex, which was a usual for them, and a bonus.

"So," she asked, "how were things at the temple today? Any new recruits or embarrassing stories?"

"Well, we just got a new bunch, from the northern parts of the earth nation, and they are the most promising acolytes yet. One in particular, a firm believer in the airbender ways. A true prodigy. If only they could airbend." He looked at her, and the nervous feeling in stomach returned. She knew what that look meant.

"Well who knows, maybe airbending can be restored by faith."

"It's not impossible. But it's also never been done..."

"Wasn't it aunt Suki telling us that all nomads were airbenders during the Era of Kyoshi?"

"I belive so. But how is she to know that?"

"She has been to the temples."

"So have I, Lin, and I've never read anything like that yet."

"Yet. There's still time. Maybe she heard it from Kyoshi. There's some magic voodoo with these traditions." Tenzin raised an eyebrow and Lin stifled a laugh. Her rice bowl was already empty, which meant dinner was almost over.