Babysitting

Lin sat on the shore, digging her feet into the sand. She didn't know what to expect when Pema had asked her to babysit, but it certainly wasn't the beach. Kya had dropped by the island to surprise her brother who was obviously out of the city. And naturally the waterbender insited on helping, and helping meant a trip to the beach. It wasn't particularly warm out either, there was an incredible amount of cloud coverage and a breeze that sent chills down Lin's spine. Lin shuddered, crossing her arms in attempt to keep warm.
"Cold chief?" Kya asked, coming up behind her.
"How are you possibly wearing that?" Lin asked in regards to Kya's swimsuit. It was small, short white swim shorts and a matching white bikini top that went really well with her hair.
"I live in the South Pole."
"Right." Lin folded her sleeves over hands and stifled a laugh as Meelo flung himself into the ocean, only to scream at the intense cold.
"You know Lin, the water is probably warmer." Kya said, laying a towel out on the sand.
"I doubt that."
"I'm serious, water holds its temperature better than the air." Lin stared at her doubtfully. Kya smiled, pursing her lips and placing her hands on her hips. "Want to bet?"
"Why would I do that?"
"Because you want to prove me wrong, and I want to show you that I'm right."
"I trust you, you're a waterbender after all."
"Fine, how about this; you come in the water, and I'll watch the kids for the rest of the day. Relieving you of your duty and granting you your freedom." Lin considered this, it would be nice to go get some of the paperwork done, if she started in the next hour or so she could be done by dinner time.
"Deal," Lin said finally.
"Great I'll see you in there." Kya winked. Something about Kya held power over Lin, she didn't know what it was but with a little effort the waterbender could get Lin to agree to more than she was willing to admit. Lin watched as she ran into the water, wasting no time launching a wave over her nieces and nephews. Lin sighed as she bended off her armor, she hadn't brought anything to swim in but she could deal with that later. She stripped down to a white tank top and sweatpants, they wouldn't dry easy but maybe one of the kids could handle that. She walked to the water line, letting the ocean tickle her toes. She released a breath at the chill it gave her and it took all she had not to rub her arms.
"Lin!" Kya called and Lin's face started up. The waterbender held her hair in her hands, wringing it out and for some reason Lin blushed. "Just 20 more steps at that rate you'll be here in a couple hours!" Lin scoffed, rolling her eyes. She took a deep breath, relaxing herself and she dove into the water, gripping onto the sandy ocean floor and propelling herself forward. She stood up, face to face with Kya, their bodies closer than she anticipated. Lin took a step back, and saved herself from what would've been an embarrassing stumble.
"Can I go home now?" Lin asked and Kya smiled down at her.
"No need to rush, you're here why don't you enjoy it for a bit. " Lin sighed in attempt to hide her grin.
"Chicken fight!!" Meelo shouted before hopping on Kya's shoulder, and shortly after Ikki was on Lin's.
"What the?" Before Lin had time to process what was happening Kya ran toward her, Meelo sticking his arms out to push his sister. Lin sidestepped and Ikki managed to push her brother with enough force to send both Kya and Meelo into the water.
"Wow that was a devastating defeat," Kya said, sitting in the water. Lin looked at the two with a grin. She offered Kya her hand and she took it.
"I think I've full-filled my end of the bargain. ," Lin said to Kya when the waterbender stood up.
"Not quite, make them an obstacle course." Lin crossed her arms and glared at Kya, who just smiled and waited. Lin grunted and bent the the ground beneath the sand, creating a course with large gaps and small platforms for Ikki and Meelo to jump across.
"Happy?" Lin asked.
"Almost."
"What more is there for me to do?" Lin asked.
"Well, Jinora should be back at the island with Rohan anytime now, and frankly she probably had Kai over so, I need you to go back and make sure things are..."
"I'm not doing that."
"Please, I mean I could send her siblings..." Lin sighed, face palming herself.
"She's old enough to take care of herself."
"Oh I totally agree but I got specific instructions from Pema, do not let Kai over."
"What do you mean you got instructions from Pema? You just showed up." Kya blushed and put her arms around her back.
"You're right, but I mean from the last time I assumed it was the same rules." Lin looked at her suspiciously, but ultimately she didn't care enough to confirm her suspicions.
"Alright, fine. I'll go check on Jinora, but then I'm going home."
"Absolutely. Thank you Lin," Kya smiled, and winked. Another wink? What's up with that? Before Lin could walk away a wave of water splashed against her back and growled. "Got ya," Kya said from behind. Lin looked over her shoulder and bended a platform that sent Kya into the air, trapping her above the ocean.
"Not fair!" The waterbender shouted.
"It's not supposed to be!"