A Test of Love

So, I was having a heart test done, and ECG, while watching the stress relief episodes of the office and I've been blessed with this beautiful idea. So here you go.

(Present day me here, I wrote this like a month ago, maybe. Just figured I post it because it's on tumblr anyway.)

"I don't understand why I have to wear this?" Lin asked for the zillionth time. Kya sighed, apply the last sticker and admiring her handiwork.

"Its just a standard heart test, Lin, to make sure you're not at any risk of a stroke."

"I'm not." Kya raised an eyebrow and the metalbender looked down at her chest and abdomen. Her torso was covered with 'electromagnets' as Kya had put it. They were monitoring her heart rate and whatever else.

"Lin, you're fifty now, this is how it is." Kya affirmed. She reached out to pull Lin's shirt back down, thankful she was able to maintain her blush when she had been so close to the earthbender.

"Can't you just... bend water or something to make me better?"

"Oh Lin, modern technology is a wonderful thing. Asami and Sato industries is making medical care much more available even to poorer regions of the earth Nation." Lin rolled her eyes and Kya reached out a hand, pulling the metal bender up. The machine attached to her wait beeped and Kya blinked.

"See, it's working already." She grabbed a notebook and wrote down the time, ignore Lin's glare.

"What are you doing?" The chief asked, leaning over Kya's shoulder.

"Keeping track of everytime it beeps, so we can track the pattern to see if it's regular."

"Let me have that." Lin said, taking the book. Kya shrugged giving her a pen as well.

"Suit yourself, but no slacking, and try to make predictions about what causes it to beep if you can." Lin snorted and Kya chuckled, picking up her nurse bag.

"Hey, where you going?" Lin asked scratching at her stomach already.

"Home, I've been here all night, Lin."

"Oh. I'll see you later then?" Kys smiled, nodding.

"Sure. Come by the island." The machine beeped again and Kya bit her lip as Lin took out the book, scribbling something down.

"See you then." The metalbender said.

Later had arrived and Lin stepped off the ferry. She wasn't able to wear armor over top this machine so she resorted to a sport tank with a sweater just in case it got chilly. Her RCPD sweats worked just fine, Kya seemed to like them anyway.

Stop. Whatever you're doing Beifong, it's not a good idea.

It took Lin an entire two minutes to figure out why her heart rate increased. It went off twice, both of which were in the jurisdiction of the waterbender. In hindsight, she should've stayed home and spared herself the embarrassment of getting caught. But then she wouldn't be able to see Kya, even if just from afar.

"Beifong!" Kya smiled, coming up to her.
You can do it you can do it you can-

The machine beeped and Lin sighed, silencing it and hoping Kya didn't notice.

"Meeting me at the dock?" Lin asked.

"Well of course, it was either me or meelo."

"Right, thanks then." Kya smirked as they walked back to the temple.