Wine and Surprise

Photo by tinaducain on tumblr

I know it's been a hot minute since anything new has come out, I'm a little busier now just how it is, and I wanted something inspired and not the rejects sitting in my drafts because you deserve better. So here it is and the picture of inspiration is above.

Tenzin watched as Pema raced around the kitchen, moving around the glasses and silverware time and time again, convinced it wasn't right.
"Pema, dear, it looks fine."

"I know it's just... I'm excited."

"Why? It's just Kya."

"And her girlfriend Tenzin."

"My sister has had a handful of girlfriends you've never fussed about this before." Pema sighed and looked at him, her look telling him just how exhausted she was with his questions.

"Tenzin she's bringing her here, to meet us specifically. That's got to mean something doesn't it?"

"Are you suggesting my dear sister has settled down?"

"It's not that unbelievable, when's the last time she left Republic city?" Now that he thought of it, Kya hadn't ventured in a while.

"You know Pema, you might be on to something." She raised her eyebrows and smiled slightly.

"It's going to be so nice to have an adult couple to hang out with." Pema said with a sigh.

"Indeed, I love Korra but her and Asami don't quite understand what a relaxed evening is." Tenzin replied with a stroke of his beard.

"And I've been trying to get Zhu-li and Varrick to come out but they are busy, President Moon is a hard woman to contact." Finally Pema settles on a spot for the China bowl filled with steamed carrots, grinning as she stood up and looked at the table, satisfied with the presentation.

"We really lucked out on Bumi being able to watch the kids tonight." Tenzin said, pulling Pema into a quick kiss.

"No kidding. Now Tenzin, please don't mess this up."

"Why would I mess it up?"

"Well you aren't always the nicest to your sisters partners."

"What are you talking about I am a perfect gentleman!" Pema smiled weakly, not helping Tenzin's case.

"Just... relax okay? And don't banter her with questions."

"How else am I supposed to tell if she's good for Kya?"

"That's a perfect example of a question you should avoid," Pema replied, pulling her hand off his shoulder and making her way to the door after a soft knock was heard. "Kya! And who- Lin?"

"Are you sure this is the best way to tell them?" Lin asked, looking over to Kya who was digging through her purse.

"Absolutely, nothing will throw Tenzin off more he will be unbearable the rest of the night."

"Kya..." Kya stopped and faced Lin, taking the shorter girl's hands in hers.

"Lin, I already did the big telling my family a huge secret in a heartwarming but painful process. I just want it to be no big deal, that's all." Kya explained.

"I know, but it feels... kind of ignorant. Tenzin and I were together a long time and I feel like I owe him-"

"I'm going to stop you there. Lin, you owe him nothing. Let's just go in there, and be a couple. How does that sound?" Lin smiled, allowing Kya to kiss her on the cheek before stepping onto the highest step in front of the door.