Pirate AU Part 1

Yoho thieves and beggars!!!! I haven't been doing much writing for personal reasons, but I am still passionate about this pirate au I have been working on. It's underneath the title Pink Skies on AO3, but I have decided to post it here. It's going to be a fairly long series, I am nearing the end on part 8 right now (each chapter is about 2500-3000 words). So if you haven't read it there you can read the first part at least here. 1-7 is on AO3, so should you need more you know where to find it. I hope you enjoy!!

Pink Skies
Chapter 1: The Ozai's Revenge

Lin jumped onto the sand, sinking her toes into the warm texture. Boots in hand, she marched up the shore.

"Captain!" She turned, waving to her crew.

"I'll be back!" She called, "I'm going to check the price of rum. Why don't you come ashore? Enjoy yourselves!" The crew cheered, and her grin widened. She watched a few of them run through the waves, joining her on the sand.

"Meeting anyone, Captain?" Saikhan asked with a knowing grin.

"Heh, you wish." She replied. It was hard to hide her enthusiasm. She hadn't been to Ember Island in two months, she missed it.

"Take your time making port," he said with a jest.

"Oh I intend too, please, tell the boys to keep the deck clean." Saikhan waved his hat, making his own way to a rum counter. Despite what she had told her crew, Lin didn't go with him, instead making her way to plaza. The familiar stone streets were lined with vendors, each one trying to sell her some kind of expired fruit or vegetable. She blocked out their hollers, focusing her attention on the building at the end of the street. It appeared paler then the last time she'd seen it. Remnants of the mural from years ago had fallen to the ground. The windows were larger, no doubt due to the stones decay. But the sign out front remained prominent.

'Chest of Gold'

She always cracked a smile at the name. It was seabearer culture to use puns as names. Her first visit she hadn't understood, but after some time there... well she started to get that 'Chest of Gold' was not referring to money and treasure.

Her stomach fluttered as she walked up its steps.

"Lin," Ms. Mia croaked, "I haven't seen you in a while."

"I've been out."

"Mm, have any luck?" She asked.

Lin gestured to her torn clothes and tattered hat with a shake of her head.

"Well, Kya will be happy to see you anyhow. She hasn't shut up about you since you left. It's hard to keep the girls interested in this type of work when they're in love." Lin nodded, wishing she would shut up and let her in.

"Don't let me keep you, go on in now. Same room." Lin offered a quick thanks before bursting in the door, whistling. Secret Tunnel, Kya's favorite shanty. Lin used to hate it, but now it was her go-to when apart from her lover. It didn't take long for Kya to appear on the steps, a wide smile and tears in her eyes.

"Baby!" She exclaimed. They rushed to meet each other, embracing each other with hugs. Lin kissed her, pressing their lips so close no air could get to her lungs. She lifted Kya off her feet, swinging her.

"I missed you," Kya gasped when they pulled away.

"I did too." Lin replied, pushing aside a strand of Kya's hair. She was in her regular brothel attire, which meant the least amount of coverings as possible. Lin couldn't judge though, as her own outfit had become tattered and filled with holes. Her coat was now a vest over a white button up. Her pants had a slit up the side after being torn in a sword fight. Her hat was sad and droopy, but she was still her, and Kya was still Kya.