Holiday

"Please, for me?" Kya asked, pressing her palms together, looking at Lin with pleading eyes. Like blinked, sighing as she bowed her head down to the aaterbender. Kya placed the festive hat on her head, giving the pom pop at the end a swat before sending Lin on her way.

"This is ridiculous." Lin said, looking at the red monstrosity of a hat. "Its blocking my senses."

"Lin Beifong, you can still see, hear and feel the earth under your feet." Kya chimed, waving a finger. Lin snorted, lifting another bulb onto the tree. She took a step back, taking in the picture of the tree. It was pristine, decorating in gold and silver ornaments, classy looking. Lin grinned at her handy work when Kya placed a large blue ornament in the center. Lin raised an eyebrow at her and motioned to the ornament.

"Care to explain?" Lin asked. Kys shook her head.

"You'll see, on Christmas." Lin thought to argue, but decided against it.

"Time for the topper," Lin said, flipping open the last box, revealing the two options she had for a topper, both elegant statues of avatars long since passed.

"Lin," Kya said, picking up one of the statues, "this is beautiful." She remarked.

"That one is Yangchen," Lin explained. She looked at the one in the box, it was older looking, even beginning to rust.
"I'm not sure about this one though. Its been in the Beifong family since... well a long time." Kya handed Yangchen to Lin, lifting the one out of the box. She furrowed her brows as she looked at it.

"It could use a clean," Kya said, running water over it with the wave of her hand. The rust remained, but dirt and dust cleared.
"Can you?" Kya asked, holding the topper up to Lin. Lin focused on the metal, specifically the rust, and tore it off the topper. She hovered the rust above her palm, as Kya marvelled at the statue in her hand.

"Who is it?" Lin asked.

"Its Kyoshi."

"Kyoshi? She was forty years after Yangchen, why did hers look so rough?" Lin asked. She bended the rust to the waste basket, looking over Kya's shoulder at the newly polished Kyoshi statue.

"Have.you ever used hers before?" Kya asked.

"No, I didn't know it was her." Lin replied.

"Can we this year?" Kya was fixated on the statue, and Lin nodded.

"Yeah, sure." She replied. She placed a hand on Kya's back, lifting the floor for her when the waterbender stretched to the top of the tree to mount Kyoshi on the upper most branch.

"Looks awesome," Kya commented.

"It does." Lin admitted. Kyoshi's statue was done in a brilliant silver, unlike Yangchen's which glimmered a tint of gold. It was refreshing, Lin decided. She put Yangchen back in the box, before halting.

"You think Jinora might like this?" Lin asked.

"What, the Yangchen?"

"Yeah, she's fascinated by airbending history... and stuff." Lin said. Kya smiled, planting a light kiss on her wife's cheek.

"I think she'd like it." Lin nodded.

"Good, I think she should have it."

"Add it to the gift pile, I'll wrap it tomorrow." Kya said softly, packing up the wrapping paper and their mess. When they managed to clean up, Lin took a step back, taking it all in. Kya hung stocking for the two of them on the mantle, humming a holiday tune.
"Lin?" Kya asked.

"Hmm?"

"The kettle?" Lin's attention was drawn to the hiss of the kettle, she walked over and turned off the stove, pouring their cups of tea. Kya's, a peppermint with sugar, and Lin's a gingerbread flavor. She hadnt had it before, but Kya saw it at the store and thought she might like it. It was a little sweet, but not bad. She took a seat on the sofa, setting their tea on the coffee table. Kya sat down next to her, fitting herself into the surrounding space of Lin's body. She was warm, and Lin appreciated her touch. Kya looked up at her, swatting the pom pop out of Lin's face.

"Merry Christmas." She said with a smile. Lin grinned, kissing her wife.

"Merry Christmas."