Pirate AU Part 4

Pink Skies
Chapter 4: BlackBeard

Kya hadn't been able to stop thinking about the Ship of the Dead.

Something like that wasn't to be shrugged off, much like the Captain had. According to Izumi's own logic there was a ship of dead sailors, floating under the see, collecting bodies and souls, whatever that meant.

But more importantly, she felt comfort knowing Davy Jones was out there. It was odd, but seeing him in a new light, made death at sea not all that scary.

On her free time she was studying constellations, Lin had been busy since her promotion, and Shin and Ping had been ignoring her since about the same time.

Lin hadn't told her much about her conversation with Izumi, only that her promotion was skill and strategy based, nothing more. Their captive was still suspended from the mast, Kya had no idea how his limbs hadn't gone numb yet. She had been reluctantly put in charge of feeding him everyday. One apple in the morning, a piece of bread in the evening. Just enough to keep him alive.

She currently mopped the deck, trying to not wipe off any more of the paint on the fire nation logo. Izumi had kept it this long, clearly she had no intention of erasing it. Kya understood, it was her heritage, hell for Izumi it was her entire families empire. For all Kya knew, it could be her inheritance someday, too.

She had left the southern water tribe at 18, and her mother with it. She cherished her identity, but never made any effort to show it off. People always assumed she was from the northern water tribe, which was common.

She cared deeply for her mother, who had begged her not to go. But the south pole wasn't an inviting place, and Kya craved to sea the world. So she boarded a merchant ship and sat with the cargo for weeks, remaining undetected. She had gotten off at Kyoshi Island, only to board one more ship, as a passenger, and land on Ember Island. Since then, she never left, until now.

So really, "seeing" the world had been two islands. But if it weren't for her misadventures she never would've met Lin, or Izumi.

She couldn't remember much about her father, though. She remembered that he was never cold, even in the sub zero Arctic temperatures. He was gentle too, her earliest memories were in his arms.

She remembered the day he left, getting a kiss on the forhead before he boarded a ship, and never came back.

Her mom and older brother raised her, alongside Tenzin. She hadn't seen any of them in over a decade, but not day went by she didn't think about them.

They both cried when she left, Tenzin grabbing her waist, her mother telling her it was a mistake.

And maybe it was, but it was her mistake.

Bumi had left right after he turned 19, to serve as a part of the Northern Water Tribes Naval Force. He was out here, somewhere. Maybe their paths would cross again.

She did know, should she ever see her mom again, she would leave out the details about the Golden Chest. Last thing any mother wanted to hear was how her daughter left and became a prostitute.

"You've been mopping that spot for a while." Kya snapped out her thoughts, looking up at the speaker. Captain Izumi stood before her, her hands tucked behind her back. If it wasn't for the golden crown and top knot Kya would say she was dressed more casual than usual. Her button up was surprisingly clean, and the black vest that went over it was free of rips. The trousers she had on were a little big, but they were secured by a fine belt with a thick buckle.

"Sorry, I got a little lost."

"Mmm, seems to be the energy around here most days." Izumi replied. The wind picked up and the taller woman sighed.
"Would you accompany me to my quarters?" She asked. Kya nodded, allowing her to lead the way. She made eye contact with Lin before entering, receiving a nod of good luck.