The Games Part 3

After looking down either way of the hall Kya slid her bedroom door closed with a sigh. She offered a nervous grin to Lin who stood in the centre of the room with one hand gripping her elbow.

"I-" they both simultaneously.

"You go," Lin said. Kya smiled, taking a deep breath as she sat on her bed.

"I owe you an explanation. I am a hopeless flirt, and I'm sure as you know that ummm... well I am more into... girls. Actually scratch that I'm only into girls." Lin didn't respond so Kya continued. "I have well... oh god. Okay, you can do this Kya, just breathe," she said to herself, ignore any look of concern that may have crossed Lin's face. "Okay, what I'm trying to say is I like you, like in the way Tenzin likes Pema." Lin raised an eyebrow and Kya blushed. "I'm sorry, that's not what I- I'll leave my brother out of this. Okay what I'm attempting to tell you, in a way that won't weird you out or scare you is I find you very attractive. Like it's ridiculous how attractive you are and I like you, I really like you, actually." Kya turned away, forcing the wall to face her blush. The room was silent, and it was until she felt Lin sit next to her on the bed she thought Lin had left.

"I don't know what to say," Lin said, her voice quivering with frustration, most likely at herself. "But I... I never thought about me being.... like you in the sense of... woman." Kya felt herself smile, just a little and she forked up enough courage to face Lin. "But I think that I'm starting to," Lin finished, offering a grin of her own.

"I don't mean to rush you or anything so you don't have to answer, but what are your thoughts in regards to.... me?" She heard Lin still her breath, and the sense of nervousness returned to Kya's chest.

"I think you're beautiful, and that I would like to figure this out, so I can give you a straight answer." Kya's grin tuned into a full smile at Lin's reply, causing the metalbender to blush.

"'Straight answer' isn't how I'd word it next time," Kya teased, "but I can live with that." Lin blushed and brushed a strand of hair that had fallen into her face.

"You know," Lin said, "You did really good out there today, and even tho you didn't win, you deserve a medal." Kya wanted to lean in and kiss her, but she opted for a hug instead, she knew Lin appreciated space. And besides she had already kissed her awkwardly once today she didn't need a repeat. As she embraced Lin she heard the sound of a smashed pot and looked up to see Lin, ripping the ribbon off her own medal and tying it to a familiar blue and white clay amulet, that was undoubtedly made of the pot from Kya's room. Lin handed it to her and Kya presses her lips together, disguising her grin. She picked up the amulet and held it in her hands, pressing it to her chest.

"Thank you," she whispered, just loud enough so Lin could hear. Her eyes darted to her thy when she felt Lin place a hand there, only for her eyes to dart back up when she realized what was happening. As Lin's face neared hers Kya set the medal down beside and lunges her own face forward, meeting Lin halfway to the kiss. The first one was quick, they both pulled away and looked at each other, either of them caught in the surprise of what happened. But then Kya reached out, placing her hand over Lin's jaw, like she'd thought about hundreds of times, and used her grip to pull Lin back in. Long drawn breaths preceded a long passionate kiss, it was soft, and Kya couldn't contain the grin when Lin put her other hand down to get closer. The hand that was on her thy slid up farther and Kya almost gasped at the touch, the only reason she didn't was because she didn't know if it was on purpose or not. When they finally tired, and drew back for air they pressed their foreheads together.

"I think I've almost got things figured out," Lin said with a heavy breath, "looks like things are in your favour."

"Did you just make a joke? Right after we made out?" Kya asked, the ever expanding smile on her face still lighting up Lin's vision.