Dangerously Jealous

Inspired by Isabellanavaza

"You're telling me that we have to engage in another ridiculous triad war because you wanted a bagel?" Lin hollered, the officer before her quivered.

"It wasn't like that-"

"Pack your things and get out of my precinct. You had one job and you couldn't even handle that." The officer nodded and scurried to a desk, throwing things in a box and making his way to the elevator. Lin sighed and placed her head in her palms, she was so over the triad drama. No matter what she did a new gang would rise to take the others place. She just didn't expect to be entangled with it so soon after the last one.

"You alright chief?" Mako asked, leaning against the doorframe of her office.

"All in a day's work," she replied grimly, signing a restraining order.

"Go home Chief, I'll stay till the night shift gets here." Lin looked at him, unsure of what to make of his proposal. Why did he offer? Did he know something?

"I'm fine," she replied, returning her attention to the paperwork.

"Suit yourself, but President Moon isn't going to be happy about this."

"Why? What did she say to you?" Lin asked, losing her focus from her paperwork.

"The city is paying you to much because of your overtime. We appreciate you but since everything that's happened it's not feasible for you to be working every night until dawn." Lin looked at him suspiciously. Mako stared at her, his gaze unrelenting and unrevealing.

"Fine, but next time I stay tell her I don't need the over time."

"Whatever you say Chief," Mako said with a shrug. Lin slung a bag over her shoulder and nodded him farewell, tapping her foot impatiently on the way down the elevator. It was long before she was out of the precinct lobby and sprinting toward her apartment, using her cables to propel herself through the air. She didn't mind walking, or whatever you called it, because Kya needed the car. And besides she didn't live far from the station. Lin looked up her building and noticed that her bedroom window was open, she considered taking the stairs, but the chance to see Kya laying in bed, a book in her hands was to tempting to ignore. She latched her cables onto the roof and pulled herself upward, landing on the fire escape and stepping in through the gap. As she suspected, Kya lay in bed, her reading glasses on her nose with a romance novel in her hand. Lin smiled, brushing off her arms.

"Why the dramatic entrance?" Kya asked.

"Thought I'd surprise you," Lin replied, bending off her armor and placing it on the mannequin adjacent to the bed.

"Every day you make it home from that job unscathed is a surprise." Kya replied, closing the book and removing the glasses. Lin smiled weakly, Kya never out right said it, but Lin's dedication to her career scares her, and for good reason. Lin had her fair share of days where she crawled back to the apartment covered in burns or frostbite by malicious benders. Kya has always treated her, sometimes staying awake the whole night to make sure that Lin would be okay.

"There's no need to worry, it was quiet today."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Look, not a scratch on me," Lin said, pulling off her tank top and turning around, showing her injury-free torso. Kya raised an eyebrow and Lin flopped into the bed next to her, in her sweat pants and bra.

"Well, I guess I'll have to find something else to keep me up all night." Kya said, leaning onto her side, propped up on her elbow.

"Darn, what ever could you do?" Lin played along, smiling as Kya leaned over her, the tan girl placing her lips on Lin's own.