Pirate AU Part 2

Pink Skies
       Chapter 2: Adjusting the Sails

Kya took in the sea breeze, letting her hair flow past her. Her coat ruffled in the wind, and the large black sails cast a shadow of protection from the harsh sun.

"At somepoint," a voice said, "you're going to have start helping them. You're not here to fool around." Kya opened her eyes, turning to find Izumi standing behind her. The Princess looked different out of her quarters. It was like Davy Jones himself had placed her on this ship. She was so natural, the Pirate life really did suit her. Kya was jealous of her boots, they added about three inches to her height. Without them, Kya was certain she would be taller. Her coat was similar to Kya's, except it was less of a uniform, and more of a creative decision. A black chest piece adored with a gold collar. Her forearms were barren while her shoulders were protected from a looser white fabric. Her hair was tied back with a bandana, and the golden crown was no where to be seen.

Izumi put on her hat with a dip of her head, moving to stand beside Kya.

"Your friend isn't much of a talker," she noted.

"Lin is great, she's... reserved, but I think she's just embarrassed is all. She'll come around. Until then, she'll work harder than anyone here."  Kya looked at the lower deck, Lin was pulling on a rope, helping to angle the sails.

"Mmmm. And what about you?" Izumi asked, "are you just as embarrassed as she is?"

"Why would I be embarrassed?" Kya asked. Izumi smiled, turning her back to the sea and relaxing on the railing.

"I don't know, just making small tall I guess."

"Small talk?" Kya laughed, "why don't you start with telling me how the princess of the fire nation ends up as the oceans most powerful pirate?"

Izumi tipped her hat, straightening herself.

"Thats a story for another time, when there's a lot more rum." Izumi sighed, facing Kya. "You didn't tell me she was Beifong." She said.

"Is that a problem?" Kya asked.

"Potentially. There's people looking for her." Kya narrowed her eyes, leaning in to the other girl.

"What are you talking about?" Kya asked.

"Her sister. Suyin Beifong." Kya was taken aback. She suspected Lin had family, but to hear a name... it was odd.

"Is she like... going to come after us?"

"Not likely. There's no way for her to know she's here."

"Oh." Izumi pushed herself off the railing, her boots clapping the ship's floorboards. Kya watched her take the wheel, like it was the most normal thing in the world. She spun it with one hand, issuing out an order to the crew below.

Kya took this as her opportunity to help out. She made her way to the deck, ignoring the water spraying on her face.

"What can I do?" She asked, yelling.

"Get out of the way!" Someone replied with a sneer. She searched for who it was, but was pulled aside.

"Go pull on the second sail rope," Lin directed, "make sure to double knot it." Kya nodded, racing to the edge. She wrapped the rope around her head, glancing to Lin for approval. Lin was busy on the capstan, so Kya went for it. She pulled as hard as she could, grunting with effort. She tried not to holler out in fear of embarrassing herself. Suddenly the sail wasn't so heavy, she looked across the boat, another sailor had start pulling the same one. She laughed, matching his pace.