Origins: Part 2

Finally dropping part 2, this one is a little slower, but trust me, it's worth it.

2 weeks later

"I'm not sure how I feel about you going for so long," Lin said, taking Tenzin's outstretched arm.

"I'll be home before you know it. And hopefully, I'll have some new air nomads with me." Lin forced a smile, nodding.

"Well, I'll be here, waiting for you." Tenzin kissed her forhead before retreating to Oogie with the small collective of nomads going with him. He waved farewell and Lin flitted a few of her fingers.

With Tenzin gone she didn't really know what to do. She figured she'd pick up extra shifts at the station, but she couldn't stand to be around there since her mother retired. Resigned.

The aura around work had been weird, everyone looked at her as though she was some type of messiah, about to swoop in and save their assess. Truth was, she was still at the bottom of the totem pole. Toph had made her work extra hard for less of a reward.

Maybe now I can finally get somewhere.

She waited until the Bison was a small shadow in the sky before making her way back into the air temple.

"You're still here," Lin said, sitting next to Kya at the counter.

"Mmm, Mom figured it was time to finish my training. Besides, there's still a couple weeks till summer. That's when the fun starts."

"Hmm, Kya sticking around for a whole month? It's unheard of." Kya grinned, taking a sip of some sort of fruit alcohol beverage.

"Well, you know, I go where I'm needed."

"And that's in Republic City?"

"Fate is a mysterious thing, Lin Beifong, you just wait."

"I think you just called me by my name," Lin said, "breaking your own rules."

"I've already broken some, what's a few more?" Kya replied, finishing her drink. Lin watched the waterbender go the fridge, picking up another.

"You want one?" The waterbender asked.

"Hmm, no I'm okay." Lin replied shyly. Kya furrowed her brows, resting her elbows on the counter, staring intently at her.

"Lin." She said firmly.

First name again.

"What?" Lin replied, avoiding the eye contact.

"Are you pregnant?" Lin sighed, looking behind her to make sure the room was free of Katara or Aang.

"I don't know," she said. "I'm late, I'm never late." Kya put the drink down, taking Lin's hand and pulling her.

"Where are we going?" Lin asked.

"Girls dormitories. Someone will have a pregnancy test there." Lin hated the idea of one of the acolytes finding out about her situation, but she needed to know. Kya led her through the halls to one of the bathrooms where she began to rummage through the personal bags on the shelves.

"I'm going to pretend your not stealing right now." Lin said, looking away.

"Relax, Beifong, you want the test or not."

No.

"Yes." Lin wanted the test, but only if it was a desired result.

"Aha!" Kya exclaimed, pulling a box from a purple pouch. She tore it open handing one of the sticks to Lin in a pink package. Lin took it, looking at it with disgust.