Lin Takes Care of Kya

Well the survey proved useful, someone asked for more of Lin taking care of Kya, so here we are. If you haven't filled it out yet it's on my message board, I read all the responses so if you have any ideas you want to see let me know.

Kya was sick. Not the kind that infected the mind, or soul, but the kind that got to your sinuses and stomach.

"Okay be care- okay you're puking again, that's good, it means you're system is cleaning out."

"Lin," Kya croaked, "as much as I love your voice, please stop talking." Lin shrugged, holding back her wife's hair and holding a cloth to her face. Lin had always been critical of Kya's work at the hospital, ironically for the same reasons Kya was critical of her line of work. It always had them worse off than when they got there. For Lin, it was physical injuries; bruises, cuts, scrapes, the occasional cracked rib or bone fracture. For Kya, it was pestilence, cold's, flu's, rashes, viruses, anything anyone had been to the hospital for, Lin was sure Kya had.

Lin snapped out of her thoughts when Kya flopped onto the floor, her back against the tub as Lin flushed the toilet. Kya's eyes were dark, the bags of fatigue standing out against her pale skin.

"Lets go to bed." Lin suggested.

"No. I can't move yet." Lin knew better than to argue with her, so instead she sat down next to her wife, pressing the clothe against her feverish skin.

"Arent you scared you'll get sick?" Kya asked.

"I've acquired quite the immune system in my time in the field."

"You mean the germ-infested office you call the department?"

"It gets cleaned... once a week. Tight budget." Kya scoffed, as much as she could before her head lulled to side. Lin caught it with a sigh. Kya was a fainter, always had been. She fainted when she got anxious, tired, sick, stressed. Usually Lin was there to catch her, and if she wasn't... then the ground would just have to be soft enough. Lin took the opportunity to lift Kya back to the bedroom, pulling back the covers and placing her shaking form beneath them. Kya murmured something but Lin told her to be quiet and sleep. She sat in a chair next to the window for a while, before dozing herself, her head tilted back and her arms braced, just incase she needed to snap into action.
Only for a couple hours. She told herself before drifting off into a deep slumber.

Lin awoke to the sound of the shower. She rolled her head to side, blinking as the soft morning sun poked through the bedroom window. She pulled herself off the chair, her back cracking as she straightened herself.
Should not have done that.

Her hips ached but she pushed through it, making the short walk to the master bathroom to see what Kya was up to. She could make out her wife's form through the tinted glass of the shower. Ky was sitting on the floor, knees pulled to her chest, allowing the liquid to fall on her.

"Stand up," Lin said, getting her attention. Kya looked at her lazily causing Lin to frown. Another sleepless night for her wife. Lin sighed, pulling off her sweat shirt and sweats before getting into the water.

"Which shampoo do want?" Lin asked, looking at Kya's selection. You'd think she was a hairdresser for all the product she had.

"Green bottle." Kya muttered. Lin nodded taking the green one in her hand and pouring some into her palm. She ran her hands through Kya's hair, humming a tune while her wife remained still. Kya always found relief in water, but even Lin knew she couldn't stay in here forever. When she felt as though she had sufficiently washed Kya's locks she moved onto conditioner, taking the matching bottle and repeating the process. When she was done she stepped out, preparing two sets of towels. She dried herself first, taking the time to grab a tank top and her weekend shorts before retrieving Kya. She pulled the waterbender to her feet, wrapping her in the towel and blow drying her hair just enough to not soak through her clothes. Then she picked her wife up and carried her back to the bed.

"You stayed in too long, now you're cold." Lin said, shaking her head. Kya was shivering and her skin had formed goosebumps.

"I'm not cold."

"Honey, you're lips are blue." Lin pulled the blankets back over Kya, getting extras from the closet to make her as comfortable as possible. Kya loved pillows, so Lin made her a throne of them to rest her head on.

"I'll wake you up in a couple hours," Lin said, "you need nourishment." Kya grunted, rolling onto her side and falling asleep. Lin waited a few minutes before going to make tea. She'd keep the kettle warm for Kya, but she needed something to help her joints. Sleeping upright all night did awful things to her back. Jade tea, with honey would do nicely. She prepared a cup for Kya, but making it Chai to help clear her sinuses. She stood at her kitchen counter, drinking tea and listening for any signs of movement from Kya. She didn't want her wife to have to walk herself back to the bathroom again.

Kya awoke to a gentle prod, Lin's hands slipped around her cheeks and forhead to take her temperature before a kiss was left on her temple.

"Mmmm." Kya groaned.

"I know. Don't hate me, but you need something to eat, or at least drink." Kya took a deep inhale, managing to lift her arm long enough for Lin to pull her up. Lin caught on and hauled the waterbender put of bed, guiding her to the sofa where a cup of tea already sat prepared for her.

"I fixed up a few dumplings for us. Try to eat one, I figured there's not much to a plain dumpling, just something for your body to feed on." Kya smiled softly as the plate was put in front of her. Surprisingly she found herself to be quite hungry. She started to eat slowly, listening to her stomach for any signs she might regurgitate it, but none came, and soon she leaned back with a seemingly full stomach and renewed sense of strength.

"You seem to be feeling better." Lin said, sitting next to her.

"A bit, definitely nothing like last night."

"I thought I lost you," Lin started, "I had to bring you back to life using the toaster and a fork to start your heart again."

"Ha ha. You joke worse than uncle Sokka."

"Well I think I'm pretty funny." Kya smiled, leaning her head on Lin's shoulder. Lin grabbed the blanket from her feet and pulled it over them.

"Get some more rest." Lin said, "I need you to massage my back tomorrow." Kya swatted her playfully, earning a kiss.

"I'm serious," Lin said, "have a nap. I love you." Kya relaxed more onto her wife, adjusting herself to be at a max comfort level.

"Thanks Lin." Kya whispered as she closed her eyes.

"Of course my love."