Kyalin Week 3

Prompt Chosen- Tired

Lin rarely ever accepted personal calls on her work line,but something told her to pick up the phone so she did.

"Lin?"

"Tenzin?" She answered curtly.

"Somethings happened." Lin felt her heart skip a beat, a momentary panic taking over her.

"Whats wrong?" She asked, holding in her breath.

"I'm not sure, she won't tell us. Pema is with her now. But, Lin, she's hurt." Lin slammed the phone down, grapping her coat and racing out of the precinct, ignoring the questions from her employees. She got her motorcycle and headed toward the pier, demanding that the ferry captain leave early, it was a police emergency.

Pema put the cloth against Kya's forhead, the older girl sniffled, remnants of her tears stained her face.

"Lin's coming," Pema told her, not entirely certain she was listening. There was a clear bruise to Kya's eye, and the scratch on her arm suggested the use of a weapon. Kya's eyes wandered aimlessly around the room, and Pema wondered if she was trying to distract herself.

"Shes in here, she hasn't said anything new since I called you." Pema heard Tenzin say, followed shortly by Lin barging into the room. The metalbender immediately knelt next to the sofa Kya laid on, running her hands through her hair, stroking her chin.

"Are you okay?" Lin asked. Kya nodded weakly and Lin pressed her forhead to Kya's cheek. She kissed Kya gently on the forehead before pulling away. Pema was shocked at her tenderness, she had never seen the metalbender so gentle with anyone.
"Can you tell me who did this to you?" Lin said. Kya looked as though she was about to respond, but instead of words a sob came out  and she pulled herself over Lin's shoulders.

"They were so mean!" She cried. "I didn't even do anything!" Lin rubbed her back, whispering gently into Kya's ear.

"I know, it's okay. You're okay now."

"Look at my eye!" She sobbed, "I just wanted to make you the Sweetcake you love so much."  Pema saw water pooling im the corner of Lin's eyes as the waterbender fell onto the floor, held up only by Lin's arms.
"I defended myself for so long, but I was so tired, Lin."

"Its okay, you did the best you could." Lin comforted her, one of her hands lightly touching the side of Kya's face with the bruised eye.

"I'm so tired," Kya said again, "I'm sor tired of this! I shouldn't have to fight them off anymore! I thought this city changed things!" Kya shouted, and Pema found herself recoiling. She gave Tenzin a dirty look, it wasn't his fault, but Tenzin had been on the council for many years, and not once had he brought up the safety of his sister, and the many others like her.  The look in his eye, disappointment in himself, and this city evident by the way he looked to the floor.

"I'm going to fix it," Lin swore.
"They aren't going to hurt you ever again."

"You promise?" Kya asked, her crying detensifying.

"I promise. Let's go home," Lin said, a small smile pressing against her face. Kya nodded and Lin picked her up, Kya rested her head on Lin's shoulder.
"Can you give us a lift?" Lin asked Tenzin. He nodded, guiding them outside where Oogi was waiting. Pema followed them, still bitter about the whole situation. She forgot not everyone shared her ideas as an acolyte, not everyone was accepting, even in this day and age. Kya was right, it was tiring. She frowned as they took off on the bison, she wanted to help, but she just didn't know how.

"Thank you Tenzin," Lin said, hopping off a Oogi, helping Kya down.

"If you guys need anything else, we are only a call away." He said.

"Thank you," Lin replied, nodding him farewell. Lin put one arm around Kya's shoulders, the other on her waist to steady her as they went up the stairs. She unlocked the apartment with her metalbending and helped Kya to their room. "Try and sleep," Lin told her, "we can talk tomorrow when you feel a little better. I'll get you something for the pain." Before Lin could leave the room Kya grabbed her arm from her place on the bed. Lin looked at her solemnly, outraged when she saw the condition of her eye.

"Can you just... stay? Just hold me, for a little while?" Lin nodded, climbing on the bed, positioning herself behind Kya, holding her with her arms.

"Sleep as long you want," Lin told her, "I can stay here as long as you need me to." Kya just hummed in reply and sank herself deeper into Lins grip. Lin kissed the top of her head, and soon, she too, was asleep.